How Long Is The Fbi Criminal Background Check Valid?

RichardP

Registered
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm applying for residency and I seem to recall it was 90 days, but can't find the info. I have the apostille and can redo the process if need be as I'm in the US right now.
Thanks.

According to the excellent thread here, the Canadian RCMP (equivalent to FBI) report expires in 90 days. It's logical that the same goes for the FBI report... but I don't know for sure.

Immigration is likely to accept it as long as your passport shows that you have not returned to your homeland since the report was issued.

You're in the US now? Did you return after you got the background check? Because if so, that may have invalidated it. I've heard of people getting the report and then coming down within a matter of days or weeks and not having issues, but going back after the report's date and before applying could mean that you have to do it again.

If you want to be safe, I would go ahead and reapply. You can try to initiate the application when you come down with the original report... if they accept it, great, you don't have to bother with the apostille... but if they don't, at least your second report will be in process.

90 days is what I heard as well, but never found anything official.

Immigration is likely to accept it as long as your passport shows that you have not returned to your homeland since the report was issued.

That's excellent, so I just need to have it translated? Has it to be a traductor publico?

I got mine on April, right before leaving for Argentina (May 5th), then I have always stayed here, except for a daily trip to Colonia in June.
I have my appointment at migraciones in 10 days.

That's excellent, so I just need to have it translated? Has it to be a traductor publico?

Yes, and you can probably find one very close to where you are if you search here: http://www.traductores.org.ar/buscar

The translator can have the translation legalized for you (migraciones requires this).

I got mine on April, right before leaving for Argentina (May 5th), then I have always stayed here, except for a daily trip to Colonia in June.
I have my appointment at migraciones in 10 days.

As long as you didn't go back to the USA it should still be valid ..unless migraciones says its too old, which ((I hope) is doubtful.

OK so... the FBI check can be ordered WHILE you are in the USA ? In just gets invalidated if you go back after you have already entered Arg? And if you go to Chile or another country?

I got it while still in the US in Aug and haven't left since, so I guess I will redo the process once back in Argentina.

I had my fingerprints taken in the US and sent it off about a week or so before coming down, since it takes a month or two for the FBI to send it back. That worked out fine.

Back