How much did you pay for your DNI?

Katie159

Registered
Hi..this is just a quick question to anyone who has successfully received their DNI.

How much did you pay at immigrations on the day all of the documents were finalized and they sent you off pay something at 'window 1' or 'window 4'?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Unless there has been a very recent change and the migraciones website has not been updated, the DNI costs $40 pesos, but it will only be granted after the resident visa is approved.

The current fee for the resident visa is $600 pesos.

Thank you for your response. I have done mine twice now, and the second time I had an issue and no one could explain what it was. So I contacted someone to help me and I asked if I could do it again without paying again as I couldn't afford it. The guy thought I was a little crazy and said well its only 30 pesos or something similar. I responded 'No, I paid 730' both times that I have done it. He said there is no way legally I should have been charged that. I must admitt I found it strange when I was told to pay the 700 at one window and the 30 at another, and that I was allowed to keep my 30 peso reciept but the other I had to hand in with my documents! I am not sure where this shall go from here..but I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Katie, If I remember your previous posts correctly you already have your visa and are just trying to get your DNI. When I paid the $600 fee to renew my visa and change form temporary to permanent I was always given a receipt to keep. There was also one for migraciones.

The $700 peso figure is suspicious for two reasons: I've never read or heard of any fee at migraciones for that amount and you were not given a receipt to keep. Perhaps Patriciafromuruguay can make a few phone calls and see if she can get some additional information.

Where did you pay these fees and were they charged only for the DNI and not the visa? If your visa (and therefore your DNI)had expired you would have to pay (at the least) the $600 "renewal" fee and perhaps the DNI fee as well. Nonetheless, they should give you receipts for the payments.

If your DNI had expired I think you have an extra 30 days after the expiration date to renew but also have to pay a 50% penalty ($300) pesos in that case. That would make the total $940 pesos if they also charged the current fee for the DNI.

If anyone esle has been asked to pay the same amount(s) I hope they will add to this thread.

Katie, as Steve and GS_Dirtyboy saidsThe current fee for the resident visa is $600 pesos and it is $40 for the DNI, you have to pay that amount any time you have to renue them. Of course they must give you a receipt to keep for what you pay ( and I suggest you to ask for one any time you pay anything)
Any way if you can not afford to pay that amount you can apply for something call certificado de pobreza and you will be exclude of the payment .That only apply for study and work residences, of course that takes more time and tramites to do because you have to prove migraciones that you can not pay.

Katie159 said:
Hi..this is just a quick question to anyone who has successfully received their DNI.

How much did you pay on the day all of the documents were finalized and they sent you off pay something at 'window 1' or 'window 4'?

Katti's experience raises a number of questions. The more I think about it the more questions come to mind:

How long ago and where (Puerto Madero or H. Irigoyen) did the two incidents (of paying $730) happen? Were they for a first time visa or a renewal? If it was a renewal, did you ever actually have a DNI?

When you presented all of the dicuments were they reviewed before you were sent off to pay the fees?

It's been several years since I renewed my visa, but I remember that all of my documents were reviewed before I was asked to pay the fee. They might have been reviewed by the jefe after I paid, but within minutes of paying I was given a certificate to take with me to the Regristro to have my DNI stamped.

One of the individuals Patricial helped last year with the tramite for his visa and DNI is a friend of mine. He paid the $640 at migraciones and received his DNI in the mail within 60 days. He did not have to make a second application at the regsitro for the DNI.

Did you make the $730 payments in the office of migraciones in Puerto Madero or at the Registro on Jujuy?

What reason did they give for charging you a second time (if it was for the same renewal).

Was you request for the renewal declined the first time and you were asked to provide additional doucments?

Do you remember if it was the same person each time you were asked to pay?

Was the renewal denied the second time? Were you given a reasonable explaination? Was anyone with you that witnessed everything?

Katti, I hope you will answer some if not all of these questions. This sounds like it could be an inside scam to me. Perhaps one of the lawyers who read the forum will be able to give you some advice once you fill in the blanks. The fact that this happened twice (and you paid an "odd" amount without geting a receipt) makes it something to be taken very seriously.

I agree that this all sounds very strange. For what it's worth, first time I went to Migraciones in 2011 I paid $600 for the visa + $30 for the DNI and received the DNI in the mail after about 2 months. I renewed my visa in February of this year and paid $600 at Migraciones and was then sent to H. Irigoyen for a new stamp in my DNI for which I had to pay $15. I received receipts for everything.

Back