How much do I need per month for a sabbatical

jmartin

Registered
Am considering moving to Buenos Airs to enrolle in spanish immersion courses. Am wanting to share a flat rather than rent one on my own. Not including the cost of the spanish language school, how much will I need per month, living modestly, including renting a room in an apartment in a decent neighborhood; private health insurance in Buenos Aires (for 42 year older male); and basic dining out a few times a week.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

I´d say you will pay around 350 usd for a shared apt, then health insurance will be around 100 usd... with 1200usd per month you should be fine.

I think you will get a tough time finding a 350 dollar shared appartment but it can be done(with a lot of luck)

Grocery - 300 dollar a month
Eating out 2 times a week - 400 dollar a month
Extra's including travel - 300 dollar
Health care - 150-200 dollar

I think you need atleast close to 1500 dollar to be more comfortable. And you offcourse need to pay your bills at home and buy the ticket.

I'm not sure on the shared room - probably depends on what level of accommodation you're looking for - I'm assuming you probably don't want to share an apt with a 20 year old student. I'd budget around 400+ for a room. 150 -200 USD per month for health insurance is a safe bet - I'm currently paying about 175 USD for Swiss Med and am in my 30s. (although you don't need it, if you want to risk it as there is a free public hospital). As for the rest - it's so variable it's hard to say.

i live on around US$1000 per month, including rent for my studio (US$425 including gas, phone, internet, power etc). I have travel insurance from home, which is only around US$500 per year, way cheaper than getting medical insurance here..

But i dont eat out often, and i dont go to pub much. Only a couple of times a week. But saying that cooking at home isnt cheap either, maybe around some price as eating out.

When i first arrived here was probably spending US$1500 a month, but thats when it was all new and doing more touristy stuff, going out more etc.

Agree with everything said.

I'm 41 and expect to pay around 150 usd for medical insurance.
One dinner, per person, without wine (costs 4 USD an half bottle) or beer (2 USD half liter) costs around 10-15 USD in a regular restaurant (good food, basic type).

Back