How Much Does A Teacher At A Private School Earn?

Girino

Registered
Not necessarily an English teacher, let's say a math teacher native in English at an English private school (high school).
I suppose they don't work 40 hours a day, so I don't expect a lot.

Some rough figure would be okay. Thanks!

Hi, Serafina!

I am part of a Facebook group, Profesores de Ingles de la Republica Argentina (https://www.facebook.com/groups/eltargentina/). Although I cannot personally help you regarding your question, I am certain that several people from that group could give you useful answers. Hope that you find it helpful!

-Violet

(PS- Keep in mind that all teachers in all schools have a pay raise coming for the next academic year in 2015!)

I just asked to join the group, though I am not an English teacher. I hope I will be able to find an answer here or there.
Thank you!

I'm not sure about public school teaching, but I worked as an English teacher during my first 2-3 years here in BA. Let's just say, I wouldn't recommend this job to people who don't have savings and/or don't have a real passion for teaching.

What I would recommend is teaching online and getting paid in dollars. I teach online on the side and that extra cash is really nice at the end of each month :)

I do have a freelance online job which I don't intend to quit. I just really need to dive into Buenos Aires and its people, living and working from home is kind of isolating after a while.

Therefore I don't plan to live on teaching. Ideally, I'd like something part-time in a private high school.
If individual Spanish lessons at a language school are about 200 ARS/hour, I suppose a hard science teacher could ask twice as much, but this is just my guess.

I do have a freelance online job which I don't intend to quit. I just really need to dive into Buenos Aires and its people, living and working from home is kind of isolating after a while.

Therefore I don't plan to live on teaching. Ideally, I'd like something part-time in a private high school.
If individual Spanish lessons at a language school are about 200 ARS/hour, I suppose a hard science teacher could ask twice as much, but this is just my guess.
I don't think any private school in this country pays any teacher more than 120-150 pesos an hour... The " Spanish " school charges 200$ to foreigners, that teacher probably gets 80-100 pesos tops.

I have a friend from England that taught Biology in St Andrews for a year.

They paid his flight out and back, he had a generous housing allowance and his salary was split between pesos here, and pounds into his UK bank account. I do not know how much was his salary, but he had enough to live very well.

It must be noted though that although young (28 at the time), this chap is the best and most engaging teacher I have ever seen, dedicated to his subject, graduated from university in the same, a wealth of qualifications and experience teaching in inner-city London schools and private schools.
He petitioned many schools in Argentina for nearly 2 years until he secured a position here.

Long-short, you have to be exceptional and dedicated to get a position, but the rewards are good.

There is a huge difference between being hired as a local teacher or a brought in from abroad teacher. I worked at st Andrew's primary school and got an average salary. They get some dedicated teachers from abroad to brag with. What I accually got in pesos is not relevant anymore but it matched the set salary for state schools only I worked more hours so in the end I took home more per month.

High school should give more, it always does for some reason.

Unless you have a degree, serious experience and very good negotiation skills I think that you won't get much. Most teachers teach for the love of it, not to get rich.

Serafina: as a casual reader of your posts, I can tell your English is not native. Please don't take this the wrong way (obviously not a comment on you as a person) but if the requirement is for a native teacher (your words not mine) you should stick to your day job.

nkotb, I want to apply as a math & physics teacher at an Italian private school. I am Italian and I have always lived & studied in Italy until 7 months ago, when I moved here.

I gave an example with English because 90% of the readers here are native English speakers and thus their experience in teacher would be related in teaching in English. I also imagine that an Italian private school pays even less than English private school. Italian is not that cool or popular or useful as English, but that's what I speak, so I just have to deal with it.

Back