How much to charge for private English lessons

RosaliaLL

Registered
I've recently met some Argentines who are interested in taking private English classes with me.

I work for a few English institutes, so knowing what they pay me (between 40-55 an hour depending on the class/distance/number of students, etc.), but not knowing what they charge the students, I'm having a hard time deciding what is a fair price for a private student.

I did some research on the forums, but a lot of the threads I found were mostly pretty outdated, so I was hoping to get some new information.

Anyone teach private classes? How much do you charge? What do you think is fair?

I want to strike that balance between a - charging what I'm worth as an experienced and certified teacher; and b - charging less than the institutions since there's no 3rd party and to help out the students;

Thanks in advance.

According to this page these guys charge 55/hr with a 10 hour minimum for 1 on 1 with a native speaker. No personal experience sorry.

1. Check the institutes' home pages.

2. Depends on how you intend to teach.

Run-of-the-mill: Institute prices ±whatever

I had a Spanish teacher who planned her teaching in accordance to my level and my specific needs - more preparation for her and higher value to me, thus higher price and worth every centavo.

John is exactly right. For eg, I (well my company I work for) pays my teacher 100 pesos an hour. But, she is brilliant, super qualified, lessons are totally personalised and I can tell for a fact from everything she gives me she puts a fair bit of time outside of class personalising the classes.

Back