How To Be A Property Manager?

mmmyeah

Registered
I have rented several apartments in BA and have had to deal with several property managers. As a result, it has made curious about becoming a property manager for side income. Are property managers regulated or can anyone do it? How would I go about becoming a property manager? Simply contact landlords and ask them if I can list their property and take 20% of the rent?

I'm sure that dozens (if not hundreds) Buenos Aires "landlords" are just waiting by the phone, hoping to receive a call from an unlicensed foreigner who will charge them 20% of the rental income to "list" and rent their properties.

Please forgive my sarcasm, but I don't think it's a great idea.

Unless you are already in the "inner circle" of BA property owners and management companies (established real estate offices).

But don't stop thinking about ideas for you own business!

I started my first retail (storefront) business when I was 19 yeas old...in 1970.

And have had many since then (and don't apply for jobs as a result).

20% of the rent? Are you for real? I pay 5% of the monthly rent to a managing agent, to collect the rent, ensure the tenant pays the bills, take any phone calls from the tenant (although I have a good relationship with the tenant and even see her sometimes). I can't imagine anybody paying 20% of the rent for a job that is maybe about 1 hour of work per month.

20% of the rent? Are you for real? I pay 5% of the monthly rent to a managing agent, to collect the rent, ensure the tenant pays the bills, take any phone calls from the tenant (although I have a good relationship with the tenant and even see her sometimes). I can't imagine anybody paying 20% of the rent for a job that is maybe about 1 hour of work per month.

I assume mmmyeah is talking about vacation rentals, with check-in/out weekly, responding to email enquiries, taking payment via paypal etc.. being on hand for blocked toilets, repairs, paying bills etc...

Many people will find numerous properties to manage then post them on airbnb and the like who have their own payment systems etc with payment not even entering the country (ie. in u$s)

I assume mmmyeah is talking about vacation rentals, with check-in/out weekly, responding to email enquiries, taking payment via paypal etc.. being on hand for blocked toilets, repairs, paying bills etc...

The op specifically referred to apartment in BA (some of which may indeed be "vacation" rentals), but the precise term is "short term" rentals which could (from my own experience and by legal definition) be up to six months duration.

I seriously doubt that the New York City owner of the apartment I rented in Palermo paid the porteno "manager" of the apartment 20% of the rent.

It might be possible if you gear your services towards foreigners who own and want to rent as temporary rentals AND you provide professional efficient service which typical Argentine management wouldn't provide. As Steve and David 20% is a bit much, but you could make it work if you can persuade foreigners that your service is worth it. No Argentine IMHO is going to pay that, however.

I'm sure that dozens (if not hundreds) Buenos Aires "landlords" are just waiting by the phone, hoping to receive a call from an unlicensed foreigner who will charge them 20% of the rental income to "list" and rent their properties.

Please forgive my sarcasm, but I don't think it's a great idea.

Unless you are already in the "inner circle" of BA property owners and management companies (established real estate offices).

But don't stop thinking about ideas for you own business!

I started my first retail (storefront) business when I was 19 yeas old...in 1970.

And have had many since then (and don't apply for jobs as a result).
Hard for BA landlord to trust you, they do not trust themsevles, and they
are cheap.

Don't let people's comments discourage you too much (they were a bit on the pessimistic side). The key to having such a business is A) Having one heck of a website, and B) Having this website positioned well in Google via SEO and SEM. If you've got those two, your apartments will rent. If you can rent people's apartments quickly and keep them full, then guess what? People will pay for your service (although you might want to be a bit more competitive than 20% as that figure sounds absurd to me). If you can provide competitive rates and an attractive appearance, then you could probably launch this business. The key is the Internet. Ignore it at your own peril. The thing is that in Argentina, most businesses haven't taken advantage of the full power of SEO and SEM, so if you find a business that is very good with SEO and SEM and can do a good job with your site, then everyone will beg to be on your site since only a few of those businesses here are taking advantage of SEO/SEM. That's the way I see it. Whenever I look for a temporary apartment, it seems like there are just a few sites that actually show up. If you would like free advice, about SEO/SEM, feel free to send me a message.

For 20% I'd be looking for you to come round to my apartment, cook my breakfast and do a bit of ironing, maybe take the dog out for a walk!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Newcomers Forum 0
Maxba Jobs 0
P Expat Life 4
P Expat Life 0
P Expat Life 0
Back