How to buy a new car?

TomAtAlki

Registered
With the crisis in Buenos Aires it looks like we'll be staying for the indefinite future. I'm tired of renting cars for my trips out of the city so am considering being a car. I found a few old posts on buying cars but nothing newish. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

A few questions that come to mind:

Are prices fixed or are dealers bargaining?
What is the approximate monthly cost after buying, ie taxes, insurance, ??? I have a garage and fuel and maintenance depend on usage.
Do I need a local drivers licence?
Considering the inflation, how much depreciation can I expect on a new car?
I am thinking of a Fiat 500. Does anyone have any experience with any particular Fiat dealer?
Anything else you can add?

Thanks,

T/

Nothing to add, sorry but I’ll be watching this thread since we plan to buy a car at some point as well. I really wouldn’t buy a Fiat though. YMMV of course.

I can add my XP with a VW Gol 3 door! Excelent Car. Never had a Problem

The Dietrich Dealership on Honduras, Palermo is a major authorized VW distributor with repair and full mechanic shop
Dirección: Honduras 4210, C1414 BMB, Buenos
Teléfono: 011 5353-6100
Suggest you go to this dealership and talk to a Sales rep, many may speak English? to discuss leasing, payment facilities, etc.

Are prices fixed or are dealers bargaining?

At the current business situation of limited sales prices are negotiable may ask for cash discount

What is the approximate monthly cost after buying, ie taxes, insurance, ??? I have a garage and fuel and maintenance depend on usage.

The plates cost and insurance depends on the value of the car. Check with La Caja insurance for quotes? Insurance would range from $1500 to $3500 per month

Do I need a local drivers licence?

No, can drive with US valid license

Considering the inflation, how much depreciation can I expect on a new car?

Figure on 10 % when using the car

I am thinking of a Fiat 500. Does anyone have any experience with any particular Fiat dealer?

No idea.. Fiat 500 very small and low car for countryside..! I would not buy a Fiat..! due to previous Xp

Anything else you can add?

Dietrich dealership also has other makes like Ford Ecosport..? Always choose a locally made vehicle ..
Think of resale value! Very low resale for Fiat ?

Car One is also a major dealership but is far away.and have no XP there.

Thanks for all of the above. It's very helpful.

I'm not locked into a Fiat but I have a very small parking space and the Fiat 500 will fit. Any suggestions of really small cars that can run on the highway will be appreciated and will be considered.

T/

Back