How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

SpencerH

Registered
It's getting worse every day. I've been to places with lots of panhandlers, but none as relentless and abusive as the ones here in Buenos Aires. Before they used to just ask a few times for money or if I would buy something from them, then leave me and whoever I was with alone. Now, after having been mugged a few times, I know that some really won't take "no" for an answer. I've had some physically badger me and even follow me for two blocks, shouting at me to get my attention. In most cities I've lived in the protocol would be to just ignore and not indulge them. This apparently doesn't work here. Any tips on avoiding or getting out of these situations?

Pepper spray if they get aggressive and you feel threatened.

keep always enough coins handy to pay "tolls", much cheaper. If you peeper spray someone at night and he has friends around you may not survive...!!

If you're going the pepper spray way, you better buy two units.
Keep one for emergencies and try the other one to get familiarized with the way you need to operate it. Its effective range, if it vaporizes a good cloud or projects a thin jet of OC, how to grab it, to aim, etc.
When you decide you need it, you will need it for ten seconds ago. Not the best time to get acquainted with the operator's manual.

An expandable baton is sort of another practical solution. Methinks there's no law against them. And if there is, the cops are not likely to be familiar with it. A one day class on the use of these charming devices can be found every now and then at small neigborhood clubs. It's quite interesting and normally includes some basic familiarization with pressure points of the human body.
Most police departments in the US have completely abandoned the collapsible baton as a practical alternative in the Force Continuum. Even Baton Instructors will tell you is a waste of time but for us civvies is a desperate measure that beats having none.

With your baton, reach out and touch someone. They will never forget.
They're often called "amansa-locos"here.

Do not say no.In fact do not say anything at all,just pass them.Talking is a sign of weakness in this case.However if they try to get at arms length and try to intimidate you let rip before they get close enough tto get physical! Q uestion their parental lineage,ask which part of no they did not understand if you have the Spanish for it but whatever language you use make it LOUD and LONG.They hate attention and live off intimidation.A bit of Spanish mixed in would be good to attract attention to the fact that you are being harassed. Ps I have not forgotten about your question about the picnic.Tomorrow I will put a more detailed post. Now zzzzzz.....

I've had to use pepper spray on two ocassions in BA. The tricky part is making sure wind or even a slight breeze isn't blowing in your direction.

Just ignore them. Don't tell them "no" or engage with them in any way - say nothing, don't make eye contact and just keep walking. Sometimes if they can tell that they are making you feel uncomfortable, they'll take it as a sign that you'll eventually give them money to leave you alone.

I fear this is going to be a dilemma if the crisis deepens seriously. There are two sides to this coin. A relative and I once sat in a very nice restaurant with a well dressed couple and family at the table next to us with the parents teaching the children, "Can you say, 'Please, one peso, only one peso." Obviously they were training the children to a career in begging. At the same time, not long ago I saw an elderly woman sitting on the street, with a large cloth bag and a sign. I gave her money--too much. Later I thought, "I can't afford to support all of Buenos Aires!" Sometimes someone has asked me and I'd say no (which I usually do--or just ignore them) and later think there was something in her eyes, I think she is really in need and I wish I had given her something.

Tough situation in my opinion. I don't run into aggressive ones here though where I live. I seldom give money to kids because I know often they are like the kids in the restaurant. But if they perform, i.e., singing on the subway, I usually do. Or if they are selling something. They aren't just begging, they are trying to deliver something of value and I like to encourage that. I may be wayyyy off base but all of this is my dilemma.

Back