How to fall in love with Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandconfused

Registered
Hello, I came to Buenos Aires around 4 months ago for the third time in my life due to personal circumstances. I never really fell in love with the city and I've actually grown to dislike it quite a lot. However, I have to stay here for a long time this time and I would like to know how I can like Buenos Aires. What are some things I could try or do that could change my perspective of Argentina or the conurbano? In my opinion the city is quite ugly, dirty and run down, the food is bland, the drivers are terrible, it's much more dangerous than anywhere I've been, I'm tired of the ever-present poverty and Argentinians are very unreliable. But is there something that can change my opinion? I'd really like to like it here, but it's so hard for some reason. I've been to Córdoba and Corrientes, but they were meh, except for Mercedes and the whole Gauchito Gil stuff, that was really cool and the only aspect of Argentinian culture I really like and find fascinating for now. Is there someone here who's been in a similar situation? I understand that it might feel like I'm trolling or something, but I guess something never clicked when I came here the first time. Thanks!

It is hard to give sensible ideas with little information. Maybe if you can tell where you come from, what you like to do, age, etc I could suggest a few things.

You need to drink more wine. Argentina is not for meant to be experienced while sober.

Also, you might like Argentina better if you appreciate the truly tragic history of the country. That will require some serious reading, and a lot of patience with wading through rhetorical bullshit. I've invested much time over the last decade in reading about the history of Argentina, and it is truly tragic beyond words. Not just one violin, but a whole string section of crying gypsies, that level of sad. And yet the argetinos are an amazingly cheerful and upbeat people. I think it's the wine.

Attend the Teatro Colon. Read Borges, Claudia Pineiro, Roberto Alt and Tomas Eloy Martinez "The Peon Novel," at an outdoor cafe. Listen to Juan de Carlo and an Orchestra Typica and Piazolla. Spend an afternoon taking a cigaret to Carlos Gardel. Take in the Yul Solar museum and the new museum of Latin American art. The dirty streets, the bland food etc. isn't going to change anytime soon. You're a hundred years too late for the Paris of the Americas. But Argentina, as mentioned above, has a very special history and culture, if not always the happiest. If it doesn't interest you by now it probably won't. Have fun, go to Brasil.

Attend the Teatro Colon. Read Borges, Claudia Pineiro, Roberto Alt and Tomas Eloy Martinez "The Peon Novel," at an outdoor cafe. Listen to Juan de Carlo and an Orchestra Typica and Piazolla. Spend an afternoon taking a cigaret to Carlos Gardel. Take in the Yul Solar museum and the new museum of Latin American art. The dirty streets, the bland food etc. isn't going to change anytime soon. You're a hundred years too late for the Paris of the Americas. But Argentina, as mentioned above, has a very special history and culture, if not always the happiest. If it doesn't interest you by now it probably won't. Have fun, go to Brasil.

You need to drink more wine. Argentina is not for meant to be experienced while sober.

Also, you might like Argentina better if you appreciate the truly tragic history of the country. That will require some serious reading, and a lot of patience with wading through rhetorical bullshit. I've invested much time over the last decade in reading about the history of Argentina, and it is truly tragic beyond words. Not just one violin, but a whole string section of crying gypsies, that level of sad. And yet the argetinos are an amazingly cheerful and upbeat people. I think it's the wine.
I wish I was a wine drinker, it’s the ideal place to be one. Fortunately the beer scene in Argentina is slowly improving

Hello, I came to Buenos Aires around 4 months ago for the third time in my life due to personal circumstances. I never really fell in love with the city and I've actually grown to dislike it quite a lot. However, I have to stay here for a long time this time and I would like to know how I can like Buenos Aires. What are some things I could try or do that could change my perspective of Argentina or the conurbano? In my opinion the city is quite ugly, dirty and run down, the food is bland, the drivers are terrible, it's much more dangerous than anywhere I've been, I'm tired of the ever-present poverty and Argentinians are very unreliable. But is there something that can change my opinion? I'd really like to like it here, but it's so hard for some reason. I've been to Córdoba and Corrientes, but they were meh, except for Mercedes and the whole Gauchito Gil stuff, that was really cool and the only aspect of Argentinian culture I really like and find fascinating for now. Is there someone here who's been in a similar situation? I understand that it might feel like I'm trolling or something, but I guess something never clicked when I came here the first time. Thanks!
I think if you don't like it you don't like it. But since you must stay around for awhile, do you have any interests / hobbies that you could develop in Argentina? What sort of background do you come from? Are you not used to big cities? Some people just don't like BA or Argentina in general; others do. It's a matter of disposition.

Knowing this will make you love the place? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back