How to find an apartment in BA?

Sam Bartolo

Registered
Whats best way to find apartment in BA? do locals use agencies or word of mouth?

Thanks for link.

Thats way out of price range :)
Yeah, no lie. That's like 5x what I can afford.

Try this site https://soloduenos.com/

But avoid Patricia Teodolini like the plague. She's an agent for absentee owners, advertises a bunch of apartments every month, and seems OK up front, but massively bipolar and very unpleasant to deal with once you move into one of her units. She will also try to milk you for as much money as she possibly can, and push the cost of repairs off onto you, given even the thinnest of excuses.

on zonaprop or argenprop, you can list cheapest to most expensive. there are plenty of $500 apartments.

A lot of the recent rise in real estate prices in the past 6 months or so has to do with previaje. I know argentines paying 700 us + p/month for low quality apartments in 2nd & 3rd tier cities.

Every place I have stayed in Buenos Aires has been through "word of mouth" in the tango community That includes five furnished rentals for a month while on vacation here (1996-98) as well as a furnished apartment without a contract or guarantor (1999-2001) and an unfurnished rental (2002-2005) that I bought.

If one integrates in a group of locals, that's a good way to make connections for temporary or permanent housing.

Thanks for link.

Thats way out of price range :)
Edificio Kaufmann would be one of the choicest places to live in the whole city. Incredibly beautiful art deco building, awesome views, and it even has its own parking garage. Obviously its expensive. But there are lots of options. I merely suggested the real estate websites because you can choose different neighborhoods, set price for "barrato", and see photos of what you get for what asking price. Saves a lot of footwork. I am not seeing much below $500, unless you get way out from the center of the city.

In the past year or two, I've had mostly bad experiences dealing directly with Argentines, ranging from doubling the rent in usd, taking stuff out of the place, being generally shady, etc. It hasn't always been like this, but now it is.

These days, I'd recommend staying in cabana/aparthotel type places specifically for tourists for short term rentals, in which case google maps is probably the most efficient way to find it. I've had 95% good experiences doing this, although it's more expensive, they're professional & you can often pay with your visa and get a 20% discount.

Apart from that I'd say book on Airbnb & pay the premium for the relative safety the platform offers, the truth is, these days doing cash in hand deals directly with Argentines you don't have a strong history with is quite risky, a lot can go wrong.

Also, there is another previaje coming up in May, which almost guarantees that short term housing supply is going to be limited even further.

Back