How To Find Housing For 3 Months? (& Where & How Much?)

bgm

Registered
Just got down to Buenos Aires for a 3 month stay and am staying in a B&B for now but looking for somewhere more permanent... looking for advice. What's the best way to do this? Through airbnb (is it trustworthy as long as there are a few reviews)? A temporary agency or individual rental agent (are there ones you would recommend positively or recommend to avoid)? Any guesthouses/hostels/etc that are both nice and affordable/meet my criteria below? Etc.

Also, is it reasonable to ask to try it out for a week before committing to 3 months? Or if I don't like a place, what should I expect around moving out/getting money refunded?  (Should I expect to pay one month at a time, or for all 3 at once if I want to guarantee the place for the whole time?) And is there anything I should know/think about regarding viewing a place before committing?

I'd also appreciate advice on where to live and what to expect to pay. Basically I want somewhere safe (in an area where I can feel comfortable walking around alone until at least 9-10pm or so) and quiet with a kitchen I can use and at least a private room (ideally my own studio, don't mind if it's tiny) for under US$900 a month (ideally under $750)... I'd like to either be within 4-5 blocks of the B or D lines or within 2 miles or so of Callao and Corrientes (or ideally both!), which I think means Recoleta or Palermo are my best choices for somewhere safe and nice, but other suggestions would be great too. I don't really care about being near nightlife... being close to nice parks would be lovely though not vital.

Thanks so much!

It would have been good to do some research prior to landing, but now that you are here, there is lots of information on this forum as many have come before you with the same questions. Just use the search option and much will be revealed.

There is no shortage of housing within your budget, but I don't think it will be easy to "try out" a place to see if you like it and expect the owner or agency to hold it for you if someone else shows up in the meantime who wants it longer.

Try looking in www.soloduenos.com, you deal directly with the owners. I love my apartment and its not expensive at all. Im sure you will find something in that website.

My brother and his wife came for a visit recently and they rented a studio apt for 10 through AirBnb. It was on Malabia and Paraguay about 4 blocks from the D line (station Scalabrini Ortiz). They really liked it and I thought it was really nice. (Nice building, modern, good location). I have ZERO connection to the owner. Just wanted to let you know that there is some good stuff out there. PM if you want the link.

Thanks guys. Going to be checking out some places, is there anything in particular I should be asking about/looking for when it comes to safety/security for the buildings and specific apartments?

The first few times I was in BA, I used BA Stay (www.buenosairesstay.com). I was happy with the apartments, they were in roughly the areas you mention above, and I was happy with the company. The landlords were nice and I got my deposits back as well! I rented studios for about $700 in Recoleta.

There are a whole host of other companies that deal specifically with tourists and tourist apartments. It's an entire industry in itself, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something, and to find something quickly.

Back