How To Get And Keep A Good Nanny/housekeeper?

PennyP

Registered
I have just had to fire our nanny for consistently turning up really late. It's the third we have had and we're finding it really hard to get someone reliable. It seems all people who do this work have to travel in from gral la paz or somewhere 1-2 hours away and the trains never seem to run without problems. So even if they want to be reliable they can't be. Does anyone have a solution to this? More importantly, does anyone know a great nanny living in capital?

Also grateful for any advice on what a nanny's employment status should be. whether it is common to pay sick pay and travel costs. Thanks

My mother-in-law asks people where they live when she's hiring. If they live too far away, she doesn't hire them for precisely those reasons -- they'll show up late or they'll quit as soon as they find a job closer to where they live.

The fact is that with the salary that domestic help earns, you will be very hard pressed to find one that lives in Capital Federal that will be long term, unless you pay an above average salary. I used to own a small retail business which at that time and still do not pay very high salaries, and it's difficult to find people who live in Capital. What I did was instead of hire 2 full time people, I hired 3 part time people. All were paid "en blanco" and were students who wanted to work to have some extra money but didn't have the pressure of having to support a family or pay rent, therefore lived relatively close by. It worked out very well for me, as they were me almost the entire time I had the shop for 3 years and even got me friends of theirs to hire during the holidays when we needed extra help. Maybe 2 part time nannies (medical students or teaching students) they will stay for at least the time they are studying and you'll have an easier time with people who are involved with school in terms of communication and reliability.

It does not hurt to pay them well since most can afford it. Enough Argentines take advantage of these folks paying them miserable wages. forgot to say I was born here, so I am an Argentine with a foreign mind

Back