How To Get Into The Argentine Rental Market?

Noruega

Registered
Good morning! I am currently in a temporary rental, but need a new place for September 1. I got my current apartment through AirBnB - we took the conversation offline and I got a great deal for four months, so it worked out really well. But now I would like to have a longer term rental, and unfurnished. Ideally I would like to rent the way locals do, not a place directed towards tourists/foreigners, as there are lots of great apartments out there, but I don't have a garantía. (I have good friends here with property but it doesn't feel right to ask and also, many landlords want it to be from a direct family member.)

I have tried to offer multiple months rent, good references etc., both to agencies and directly (solodueños and similar) but so far no luck. I realize tenants' rights are very strong here and people are just trying to protect themselves. Any of you have any advice or experiences to share?

Gracias!!

If you don't have a DNI and residency no landlord will enter into a standard rental agreement with you. First because they would be totally unprotected as you have no assets to attach in case of non-payment nor do you have the ability to buy "seguro de caución / seguro de garantía" from a bank (Supervielle & Banco Ciudad), which is sometimes accepted in lieu of a garantía. A "temporary" rental contract can be enforced for eviction (6 months or less) however a standard rental contract is for 2 years and to evict you can be sometimes difficult, but not impossible, as some people believe though. Nobody who owns a property would expose themselves to that type of risk.
Ley de Alquileres:
http://infoleg.mecon...27287/norma.htm

Thanks David for the explanation! I will have DNI and residencia precaria soon, until then maybe I should just stick with the temporary rentals.

Good morning! I am currently in a temporary rental, but need a new place for September 1. I got my current apartment through AirBnB - we took the conversation offline and I got a great deal for four months, so it worked out really well. But now I would like to have a longer term rental, and unfurnished. Ideally I would like to rent the way locals do, not a place directed towards tourists/foreigners, as there are lots of great apartments out there, but I don't have a garantía. (I have good friends here with property but it doesn't feel right to ask and also, many landlords want it to be from a direct family member.)

I have tried to offer multiple months rent, good references etc., both to agencies and directly (solodueños and similar) but so far no luck. I realize tenants' rights are very strong here and people are just trying to protect themselves. Any of you have any advice or experiences to share?

Gracias!!

Lets us know of your findings....!
Garantias in addition must be From Capital Only. Some time ago one could find Ads in Clarin under Garantias, selling a Garantia Trucha/Fake. The price could be several rental months Nowadays Garantias are investigated by Escribanos for its worthiness .
Good Luck

Thanks David for the explanation! I will have DNI and residencia precaria soon, until then maybe I should just stick with the temporary rentals.
Once you have your temporary residency (NOT precaria, that is a document that is given to you for a short period of around 30 days while your temporary residency is being processed) AND your DNI, then you will have a better chance at getting a standard rental contract. Keep in mind however, it's still difficult to find without a garantía propietaria and even those bank garantías require that you have been at your job for a certain period of time before selling you garantía insurance. This is another company (legitimate) that offers guarantía insurance, http://www.monclair.com.ar/ - I accepted this once from a tenant in my rental property and it worked perfectly. However it was a person who was at their job for many years with a provable stable income. It might be worth it for you to investigate considering how much less it costs to rent with a standard contract as opposed to the cost of a temporary rental. Good luck.

Once you have your temporary residency (NOT precaria, that is a document that is given to you for a short period of around 30 days while your temporary residency is being processed) AND your DNI, then you will have a better chance at getting a standard rental contract. Keep in mind however, it's still difficult to find without a garantía propietaria and even those bank garantías require that you have been at your job for a certain period of time before selling you garantía insurance. This is another company (legitimate) that offers guarantía insurance, http://www.monclair.com.ar/ - I accepted this once from a tenant in my rental property and it worked perfectly. However it was a person who was at their job for many years with a provable stable income. It might be worth it for you to investigate considering how much less it costs to rent with a standard contract as opposed to the cost of a temporary rental. Good luck.

Good point David, also in a long term rental one should amortize the cost of beds, furniture, frige, TV, stove, kitchenware, Microwave, lamps and other appliances . The payout time is quite long.

When I was a tourist, I managed renting 3 times on the long term, no garantia.

First that was in 2003 (first apartment I visited! lucky), there were like 40 people waiting in the street, I was among the firsts, liked the apartment, talked a bit with the lady from the agency, she called the LL (who turned out to be an Argentine English teacher) and they said OK.

If you can prove you have a foreign income, many LL will appreciate that right now.

I'd consider it like searching for a job: send 100 resumes & you'll get maybe 2 or 3 answers.

Once you have your temporary residency (NOT precaria, that is a document that is given to you for a short period of around 30 days while your temporary residency is being processed) AND your DNI, then you will have a better chance at getting a standard rental contract. Keep in mind however, it's still difficult to find without a garantía propietaria and even those bank garantías require that you have been at your job for a certain period of time before selling you garantía insurance.
Thanks again David, good to know!
Good point David, also in a long term rental one should amortize the cost of beds, furniture, frige, TV, stove, kitchenware, Microwave, lamps and other appliances . The payout time is quite long.
Rich, this is very true but at the same time I am ready to have my own things! (Although it is annoying that unfurnished rentals don't have fridges etc.) I am ready to decorate and make the place more my own. I am thinking that my best bet is a temporary rental but maybe one geared more towards students or longer term tourists, and not short-term tourists. The latter seem to be very decorated, with lots of art etc. I'd like to at least pick my own pictures and that stuff. And maybe I can get the landlord to take some things out, at least art, lamps etc. so that I can use my own. Being Scandinavian I like the stereotypical Nordic look - lots of white, light woods etc. I've had enough of the red accent wall in my current rental! :)

Thanks again David, good to know!

Rich, this is very true but at the same time I am ready to have my own things! (Although it is annoying that unfurnished rentals don't have fridges etc.) I am ready to decorate and make the place more my own. I am thinking that my best bet is a temporary rental but maybe one geared more towards students or longer term tourists, and not short-term tourists. The latter seem to be very decorated, with lots of art etc. I'd like to at least pick my own pictures and that stuff. And maybe I can get the landlord to take some things out, at least art, lamps etc. so that I can use my own. Being Scandinavian I like the stereotypical Nordic look - lots of white, light woods etc. I've had enough of the red accent wall in my current rental! :)

You don't want a little red Swedish house?

Back