How to get money *out* of Argentina?

KatharineAnn

Registered
Is there any way to send money FROM Argentina TO the US/Europe?

Now I'm asking nicely so please no making fun of me for my ignorance - I know this is probably near impossible/difficult to do. :D But my question is, is someone has investments/income (in pesos) here and wants to send money to themselves/someone else abroad, is there any alternative to actually coming here, changing the money to dollars on the black market, then trying to haul it away in your money belt and hope the dogs don't catch you?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

"Now I'm asking nicely so please no making fun of me for my ignorance "

Now why do you want to ruin all our FUN? :D

But all kidding aside: I'm sorry that I don't have the answer you are seeking but I do want to give you massive credit for the way you asked.

Maybe travelers' cheques that you buy here and cash after arriving at your destination (if you have a DNI, the AmEx office on San Martin doesn't charge a commission.) Back in October, the monthly purchase limit was USD$550, and I imagine it has only tightened since then, but might be worth looking into...

The problem is no one wants pesos. So your biggest hit is going to be turning those pesos into a real currency.

The best way to get money out of Argentina is to find someone that needs to get money into Argentina and make a deal. Have them transfer money to your account abroad and give them pesos here.

If your money is in pesos then you'll have to pay a crappy exchange rate, as it is really had to sell pesos out of Argentina. You are looking at probably 5.8-6 pesos to the dollar these days.

if you have pesos, you have to buy dollars ( blue ) and go to some cueva to get them to wire the money out of the ocuntry. This will cost you on avg 30%

One option: Become a "registered owner" of an Argentine ADR stock. Buy in Buenos Aires with pesos cash out BNY Mellon. Will need agent/broker to coordinate.

nikad said:
if you have pesos, you have to buy dollars ( blue ) and go to some cueva to get them to wire the money out of the ocuntry. This will cost you on avg 30%

Is it not only possible to make an international money transfer to an account abroad? you mean the loss is 30% due to the exchange rate?

scaccomatto said:
Is it not only possible to make an international money transfer to an account abroad? you mean the loss is 30% due to the exchange rate?
yes, the exchange rate difference and % on the transfer.

Yep the others are correct. The only way would be to take those pesos and buy dollars on the black/blue market and then wire it out via a reputable exchange house. All of those places are charging at least 5% (and as much as 6% a few weeks ago).

But if you are willing to do that, with a reference from someone that has a relationship with an exchange house you can easily get these funds wired out. Keep in mind it takes a good amount of trust because you must first give them the cash upfront and then they will wire you the funds from their accounts OUTSIDE of Argentina.

These exchange houses have accounts set up in Dubai, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, London, etc. and they will wire the funds to you. Most of the times when I've done it, it's made it to my account within 48-72 hours. It's quick but just expensive right now. But totally possible.

Back