How to go to colonia!!!! A how to guide

Viajero Mike

Registered
I recedntly had to go to Colonia for my visa. It was a little confusing but would have been very easy had someone told me what I am going to tell u.
Go to the Buque Bus http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html

Now here is the complicated part You need to wait in three lines to get ur tickets.
First line “The middle line”. That is right the middle line to the left of the cashier.
Make ur reservations here. They will put u into the computer. Bring your passport.
Next go the cashier and pay for the ticket. Remember the cashier is to the left of the reservation Counter.
After paying then go to the last counter (to the left of the first counter and two counters to the left of the cashier) This is where u pick up ur ticket.
Go up stairs through the metal detectors.
Wait in line for immigration.
You will go through both immigrations at once, or one after the other. There will be two officers at the counter. The first is from Argentina, and next to him is the Uruguayan immigration officer. They will both stamp ur passport.
Go to the waiting room and wait to enter the boat. If u want a window seat get on first. Only 10% or less are window seats (maybe as little as 5%) I did not bother to count but there are not that many.
When u get to Colonia u will only go through customs no immigrations.
Go do whatever it is that you want to do.
DON’T BE SCARED BY THE PRICES!!!!! URUGUAYAN PRICES ARE MUCH HIGHER BUT THE RATES ARE BASCIALLY THE SAME.

Scooter rental is relatively cheap. If u are on a day trip then I suggest renting a scooter and seeing the twon.
Returning is the same.
When u get to the terminal u will have to stand in one line only to get ur boarding pass.
Then go through the metal detectors and through the immigration again. Two of them , first the Uruguayan immigration and then the Argentina immigration. They will both stamp ur passport and give u a new 90 days.
When u get back to Argentina u will only go through customs.
Also the cab will rip u off from the terminal they have a minimum. If you can cross the street and pick up a cab u can save a few pesos.

There u go!!!!! Enjoy the trip!!!!!.

The few times we've gone we rented a golf cart. Pretty cheap and seems at least a little safer than a scooter.

Back