Howdy-4 Texans in Buenos Aires

Josie

Registered
Hi there,
Our family of 4 from Fort Worth TX will be living in an apartment in Palermo until mid-December. We have 2 boys (ages 4 & 9). We arrived on Wednesday.

So far so good. However, I was wondering where we could get items to stock our kitchen like knives and pans (our kitchen has a few things already but not much). In wandering around our neighborhood I haven't seen a kitchen store-any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks, Josie

I buy my stuff in a shop in Talcahuano St about a block and a half from Santa Fe Av, I think it is between Charcas and Paraguay, they have everything you may need. Good luck Henry

Welcome to Buenos Aires, Josie. If you don't want to go to Jumbo, ask your neighbors or any local shopkeeper for the nearest "BAZAR" or "CASA DE REGALOS". They sell the stuff you are looking for.

https://www.jumboacasa.com.ar/login/prehome.aspx

You can even order online and they'll deliver everything to you. You wouldn't have to worry about a thing ;-) You'll learn that everything is done through delivery here and it makes life a million times easier. Not only that, but the lines in the supermarkets are ridiculous....

I too live in an apartment in Palermo and have just gone through all the procedures in order to furnish and set up my apartment. PM me if you have any other questions...

I guess if you are a Walmart type of person, Jumbo will be fine.

Me, I come to Argentina explicitly to avoid Walmart, and all its ilk.

I have been to Jumbo/Easy a few times, and find it pretty disgusting.
The cheapest chinese imports, chosen for price alone.
I have stayed in a half dozen apartments in Buenos Aires over the years that were furnished by EASY, and most everything was falling apart and breaking pretty quickly, the woodgrain plastic peeling back to reveal the compressed sawdust below.

Me, I really enjoy the process of finding the locally made, uniquely argentine things, and supporting small stores, factories, and individuals who make and sell it.

So I go to small kitchen supply stores, and find things with a bit more soul than the crap at Jumbo.
Usually, the price difference is not a lot.
Sometimes it is, but its usually pretty obvious why.

There is also an entire wholesale restaurant supply neighborhood, over in Once- Jujuy y San Juan, more or less.
And there are great, cheap antiques, at stores, the pulgas, and weekly markets in San Telmo, or other spots around town. there is a fun one outside the Chacarita cemetery on Saturday afternoons, and another one at the Parque Centenario- I forget which days, but I think its Saturday and Sundays.

Real china from the flea market is cheaper than plastic from Jumbo.

If you're not fluent in Castellano, I'd suggest using Googles, Chrome, web browser with the translation plugin. http://www.google.com/chrome . It'll convert non-flash websites into English for you.

I've been able to order groceries and food with no problems.

LJ2 said:
If you're not fluent in Castellano, I'd suggest using Googles, Chrome, web browser with the translation plugin. http://www.google.com/chrome . It'll convert non-flash websites into English for you.

I've been able to order groceries and food with no problems.

Google's Chrome webbrowser is AWESOME for translating webpages!!! A must do if you aren't fluent in Castellano....

Thanks for all the great responses-I found a knife at a general store type place near Santa Fe-and the next day I saw guys selling knives from a box at the park near the Planetarium (that would have made for a much better story). I'll have to check out some of these other spots for everything else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ajoknoblauch Culture 24
S Newcomers Forum 6
V Newcomers Forum 9
Back