HuffPo on CFK

"That's what they're never going to forgive: that Argentines have been able to demonstrate, contrary to all the theories of despondency, of fear, of unpatriotic feelings of those who didn't believe in Argentina . that they could do what's necessary so that Argentines would live better," she said.

"They still keep punishing us, because we're a bad example; we're the example that it's possible to build a country without an outside tutor. We're the example that a country can vote for a president and the one who decides is this president."

Argentines living better? The outside is "punishing" them?

I still don't really understand how someone can say that people who loaned a country money and are insisting on it being paid back are "punishing" Argentina for not lending them more money, or making it too expensive for them to borrow. I really don't care that it was previous governments who mishandled the money (ahem!) - the Argentine people are responsible for the actions of their government and they can't just say "well, that wasn't what WE wanted to have happen, so screw all you rich folk." Not without consequences.

Argentina could easily be as wealthy as the US or other "developed" nations if they would just open up trade. But they can't do that because they have no desire to improve and compete on an international scale and they keep electing thieves and thugs to office. Instead, "the outside" is evil because it actually seeks trade, but Argentina can't keep up on anything except agricultural products (and they're working on screwing that up too) so anyone who wants to trade with Argentina is a "tutor" or an enemy trying to dominate.

I guess what we need is an international taxing system so that we can take the money of all these evil, wealthy nations and give it to poor, "developing" nations so that they can continue to dominate their people, keep them in ignorance, and they can continue to pocket money and accumulate power for themselves and their descendents.

Sounds fair to me :eek:

Oh wait - I forgot, the Repsol expropriation is kind of like a forced international tax, isn't it? Although probably not sustainable...and she'll try to use that to generate enough income to fuel her Chavez-like pipe dreams. Then, one day whichever oil company ends up helping Argentina reach its dream of dominating and enclosing its own people (by generating enough income through oil and gas) will be seen by the future as an evil international corporation who came in and took advantage of those poor Argentinos.

And the thing is - they'd maybe be right. But it takes two to tango. Always has.

ElQueso said:
Argentina could easily be as wealthy as the US or other "developed" nations if they would just open up trade.

Argentina fully embraced this idea in the 90s:

33m6b9k.png

2v2w2rq.png

For most of the 90s, the trade balance was negative, and Argentina ran a current account deficit. How does every country pay for these imbalances? The answer is debt. In other words, your solution to easy wealth actually led to Argentina's demise in 2001.

As you'll see on the histograms, Argentina's current account and trade balance has been positive ever since. As a result, Argentina also has one of the lowest debt-to-GDP ratios in the world.

All of this is happening again. Compare the trade balances and current accounts of European countries that are doing well (Germany) to countries that are in crisis (Spain, Greece, etc.). It's not a coincidence.

bradlyhale said:
Argentina fully embraced this idea in the 90s:

33m6b9k.png

2v2w2rq.png

For most of the 90s, the trade balance was negative, and Argentina ran a current account deficit. How does every country pay for these imbalances? The answer is debt. In other words, your solution to easy wealth actually led to Argentina's demise in 2001.

As you'll see on the histograms, Argentina's current account and trade balance has been positive ever since. As a result, Argentina also has one of the lowest debt-to-GDP ratios in the world.

All of this is happening again. Compare the trade balances and current accounts of European countries that are doing well (Germany) to countries that are in crisis (Spain, Greece, etc.). It's not a coincidence.

Argentine debt-to-GDP ratio in 2000, right before the crash, was almost exactly the same as it is today.

Check out this thread. It has a lot of other information regarding Argentine economic numbers:

http://baexpats.org/articles/23123-argentine-debt-gdp.html

Taking on debt did not ruin the Argentine economy, nor did it ruin Greece's. It is corruption and/or misplacement of funds. The example of Greece being the most recent one where loans were used by the government to pay the salaries of government employees (along with their bonuses, the 13th and 14th month salary) rather than investment as the terms of the loan laid out it should be used.

Of course even the above is oversimplification. All I'm saying is, just taking on debt is not the reason an economy collapses. And on the other hand, "free market" is not always the solution to the "problem" of debt.

Along the same lines, one can't keep on blaming the IMF or the developed world when the problem lies at the heart of Argentina (or Greece). No one is forced to take on loans, and after taking on loans, no one is forced to be corrupt and/or use those funds to bloat one's personal accounts.

It's hard to have anything to export, except agricultural commodities, when you have little industry and/or little to no quality product to export and no incentive to innovate and compete internationally. When you have nothing else to export, and your imports are controlled through actual import restrictions and/or the amount of products your citizenry can afford to purchase (with or without credit), it's not too hard to have a surplus I reckon.

If you had even a semi-efficient industry, not only would you have decent jobs for a lot of people, but you'd be selling those products "outside." Argentina could be well-placed to do that - China figured it out to an extent in their own way, Brazil is working on it. It's not completely hopeless. Argentina could take advantage of the nations with money who consume by producing something more durable and cheaper. If you can produce cheaper and more efficiently than others, you can make a profit on more than just selling food and a lot of people win.

Of course, then Argentina would face a problem of continuing to compete - que paja.

How is their trade balance on non-agricultural items? Is their trade of agricultural commodities sufficient to move an economy forward in the 21st century? If not, is it really helping the Argentine citizen to make it impossible to profit from other ventures?

Maybe, I'm not an expert, but I tend to think not as well as other countries who are moving forward in other areas. Food is still necessary, for sure, but what kind of price does it command in relation to other industries and opportunities for workers? Farming nowadays, even in Argentina, doesn't employ enough people I think.

It takes more than just opening up the credit spigots and buying everything on loan, you're right - the US is showing us that nicely as well.

Argentina could compete very well internationally, was my point, if they set their minds to it. I didn't mean just open up trade between Argentina and other nations and put the cost on the back of the people. I was talking about reforming labor laws, banks, courts, corruption, making business easier and less costly, giving opportunities to more and more people, etc. Get away from this concept that the government knows all, helps all, except when the big baddies from "outside" ruin things and don't give their "ideas" a fair chance. That the government has to control things for the good of its people and without the government intervention and control, all hope is lost.

How well did the government here implement such concepts as free(r) markets, personal reliance and responsibility, education, rule of law, etc, while they were opening credit spigots and spending it on social programs and coima and such, instead of investing in infrastructure and schools and police and other things that can help business instead of impede it? I mean hell - what Argentina could do with a functioning (again) rail transport system! Why is it that one city and its outlying area holds almost a third of the entire population of the country, in a pretty big country?

I've driven through Argentina to the north. You can't get anywhere easily. It's like the US in the 40's, before the interstate highway system was constructed. But at least the US had rail to ship its industry back then. Trucks clog the little two lane highways that run like small varicose veins through the country.

BTW - those charts you show originated from the same lovely group that just gave us the word that one is only poor if one makes something less than 1600 pesos a month (anything over that and, well, congratulations, you're not poor - but you have no options and no buying power and live una vida de mierda. Ok, you're really dirt, dirt poor if that's all you make, let's face the reality. In my opinion, you're very poor if you make three times that for the same size family, but hey, who's quibbling?). And 9.99% annual inflation. And a dollar rate that way overvalues the peso and allows the government to save its money while putting a lot of crap on the backs of the working people (well, I reckon not INDEC on that last one, but you get the drift of what I'm trying to say).

Not saying the charts are right or wrong, but I'd bet you a month's pay they're not telling the whole story.

Governments don't do well controlling everything, for the most part. Not even smart, relatively efficient governments in developed nations. What makes one think that the moves Cristina is doing, including having a nifty trade balance on the commodities markets, are well thought out and have a good probability of raising Argentina out of poverty? Even if the forced exports when importing items keeps the trade balance going in their favor, how many companies are going to continue to fold up or reduce business because people are in business to make profits, not support social programs?

Is stealing a multi-billion dollar oil company really going to change things? If the oil companies she is talking to now end up not wanting to do business because they don't trust Argentina, is she going to blame her inability to start the oil-money pump (which could give the illusion that her policies are working - give me enough money to build a big enough lever and I could move the Earth) on them, or on her policies, which don't really seem to be stabilizing things over the long run, as the success of a country's economy is made of more than a trade balance sheet.

I don't know. Probably China will end up taking a chance there at least - they need the actual oil, the other companies just want to make money.

What I do know is that Argentina is headed toward something that doesn't look too fun, and a whole lot of people are worried about it.

As far as the money borrowed goes, again, the country borrowed the money, right or wrong. They defaulted on the loans and told a lot of people, who are not governments and big businesses (well, not all of them), to go screw themselves, even to calling the debt "the invalid foreign debt."

So how is it exactly, as was one of my main points, that the "outside" is punishing Argentina for being on the cutting edge of defaulting, isolationist nations? Are they expecting the "outside" to just give the money for free, without either the requirement to pay it back, or the need to pay interest on it? Are they expecting everyone to rush in and risk money in Argentina based on past performance? Is it punishing someone else to not take a chance on them after they've screwed you? Do they really think the "outside would, or should, do anything else?

Or is she just saying that Argentina did what it had to do and they'll all be laughing out of the other side of their face when she gets done?

Argentina has every right to turn protectionist if that's what they want to do, but saying they're being punished by the "outside" is diverting attention from the real problem. And claiming that today, Argentines are better off, or even that they will be better off due to the government's policies, is a pretty big pill to swallow if you ask me.

And how, exactly, have the Argentine people begun to live better? I don't see it. Since she took over, things have gotten worse, no matter whose fault it is. Something's not working and the trade balance doesn't seem to be helping much. Well, I guess it's keeping things from completely collapsing. For now. Hope something doesn't change there.

nicoenarg said:
Taking on debt did not ruin the Argentine economy...

Taking on debt itself does not ruin the economy. I never claimed that. However, as you point out, debt must lead to productivity. In the 1990s, it did not. Billions of dollars in debt were used to pay for the imbalances of trade and current account deficits. CFK and NK, hate them or love them, changed that.

2lv0op4.png

bradlyhale said:
Taking on debt itself does not ruin the economy. I never claimed that. However, as you point out, debt must lead to productivity. In the 1990s, it did not. Billions of dollars in debt were used to pay for the imbalances of trade and current account deficits. CFK and NK, hate them or love them, changed that.

2lv0op4.png

Its not about loving or hating them. The economic policies, as they stand today, are unsustainable. Plenty of threads on it out there and plenty of reasons for it too. Eventually, the economy either has to collapse (extreme economic view) or continue in stagflation for a long time, erasing a whole lot of the economy and hence the job market, GDP growth etc (already happening, and will continue to get worse).

It isn't about hating one group over another or liking one group over another. The economic policies in Argentina don't work because of the local political culture. It has got nothing to do with what system they adhere to.

It hasn't been "fixed" by the Ks. Where the Ks took power, Argentina had already hit bottom and the only way to go was up. Let's not give credit where it ain't due at all. A bounce like this in economics is pretty normal.

bradlyhale said:
.... Billions of dollars in debt were used to pay for the imbalances of trade and current account deficits. CFK and NK, hate them or love them, changed that.

I must be stupid tonight, I have no idea what the above statement means. The deficits were an effect of various actions, policies, govt, import, export etc... it is not a thing that consumes debt. Is this one of those obfuscation to bewilder without palpable fact-type, red herring type of comments...

nicoenarg said:
.....Eventually, the economy either has to collapse (extreme economic view) or continue in stagflation for a long time, erasing a whole lot of the economy and hence the job market, GDP growth etc (already happening, and will continue to get worse).

This is where I think Argentina is blessed and cursed at the same time. Blessed that it has such a rich resource base at a time when commodity prices are high, cursed that such a resource base can support any type of government, competent or not, and prolong any malaise for a long time, as long as there is no external trigger (collapse in world economy and commodity prices)

Dipoots said:
I must be stupid tonight, I have no idea what the above statement means. The deficits were an effect of various actions, policies, govt, import, export etc... it is not a thing that consumes debt. Is this one of those obfuscation to bewilder without palpable fact-type, red herring type of comments...

There are various factors (imbalances, lack of investment, etc) that led to the deficit, but the result in the long-term is the same, regardless of the factors that caused it to happen. It's a math equation. Most countries (the U.S. is a special case) cannot spend more (import) than they earn (export) without eventually maxing out their credit cards. In 2001, Argentina unilaterally declared bankruptcy. It wasn't pretty, but it's what saved the country.

If acquiring more debt to pay down debt (instead of investing in production) would have worked, why hasn't it worked in Europe? Why is the gap between total debt and GDP growing in countries like Italy, Portugal, Greece, and Spain? If trade balances are so irrelevant, why do essentially all of the major European countries with imbalances (more money going out than coming in) find themselves in a crisis, while Germany continues to do well? The last time Germany had a negative trade balance was in 1992, and it's barely noticeable on the histogram.

The conventional wisdom for much of the last 20-years or so has been to take on debt to make up for these imbalances, and hope for the best. Nestor Kirchner and Cristina Fernandez were correct in diagnosing this as the problem, and I will certainly give them credit for going against the tide. If a country with a ton of debt and obliterated industries due to unfettered free trade could "easily bounce back," let me know when that will happen in Europe under the current paradigm.

Back