I am looking for Spanish group class

kwalarking

Registered
I am a 29 yr old professional working in BA. I am currently looking for group Spanish class. I work till 7pm every weekday so would prefer evenning classes.

Thank you all

I think you might struggle, I was looking for the same thing about 7/8 months ago and didnt have much luck at those hours. Have you thought about private lessons? Work actually pays for my Spanish classes, perhaps you could negotiate the same kind of thing?

anjuna11 said:
Check out Vamos Spanish and Expanish, among many others. Not sure if either offers evenings.

Thanks mate, I have tried that and they cannot accomodate my hours

Hello Trennod, I am not required to speak Spanish at work so they wont pay. I think I would struggle to learn on my own. How did you stay motivated?

Find a subject that really motivates you and study/research it spanish. Let the language be the means and not the ends. Works wonders if you can find the right material.
Sweet plan B, get a local GF/BF.

That's how I learned english, french and kept some of my german still alive for a while.

Thanks Iznogud for your comments. I will try the first option and see how far I can get.

hi, i cant help you with group class, but on tuesday i will start private lessions here: http://grammaramaspanishclasses.com/spanish-classes.htm
she is quite flexibel with time, i could arrange more or less the time that i wanted, so may be it also works in the evening! it is not expensive even although it is private lessons. but so far i cannot say something about the way of teaching as i am just starting...

Depending on your particular interests, suggest you browse forii like this one (read and acquire vocabulary in a dynamic, colloquial way) and baby step your way into a few contacts willing to help/discuss the forum theme.
Subscribe to a videoclub and rent argie movies. Watch them with english subtitles first but listening to the dialogues, then rewatch with spanish subtitles to learn the written-spoken pronunciation subtleties.
If your spanish is very basic, avoid the group. go for individual lessons. Language is naturally acquired by listenng first, speaking to a few individuals next and building vocabulary and confidence before engaging larger groups and wider topics. Easy does it.

kwalarking said:
Hello Trennod, I am not required to speak Spanish at work so they wont pay. I think I would struggle to learn on my own. How did you stay motivated?

With regards to your work paying, have you tried all angles? Ie do you have Spanish speakers in your office, perhaps you could suggest it will assist you in communicating there?

My girlfriend is Argentine (we speak pretty much entirely in spanish now) and although most of my clients and work is in english I am the only native english speaker in the office so I hear and see a lot. Now I have a few porteño friends and so from speaking with them and colleagues its improved pretty quickly.

I went to group classes (during the day) for the first 5 weeks I was here and then have had a private teacher (on and off) since then.

Anyhoo, I think once you have picked up some of the basic grammar, you will learn the most from hearing, seeing and speaking with other locals. I would try and connect with some locals so you can practice, people rave about the language swaps ie spanglish and beerlingual. Another options for language swaps, perhaps you have locals at your work who you could swap your english for spanish? A colleague of mine actually came to me last week and asked if we could do something like that.

I can honestly say though, I have learnt the most by far from my girlfriend. Going out with a local, or having local friends is the best way to learn.

There are also some good points here about reading up on subject areas and picking up vocab and grammar from there. I would recommend putting up signs around the house if you can of verbs grammar. When I first got here I think I had about 100 up around the house (nouns such as mesa, silla, inodoro, sillòn etc). I put a lot of verbs as well particularly in the kitchen - it all helps!

Back