I Am Now Boots On The Ground!

MyArgentina

Registered
Wow. I've been to Argentina several times and this arrival was powerful. As soon as we landed from the States, I had a panic attack - and I am not too often prone to that. The reason I think, for me, personally, whenever I've arrived in the past it was passing through to Salta (to be with an ex-pareja). This time I knew I was arriving solo and upon landing (what could be better) there was a fog covering the airport (no light there!)

Well, I am now safely ensconced in my hotel for a week while I look for a flat. And I must say, BA is a world away from Salta. Damned expensive, but so much character and charm. I'm feeling better. And I have my full list of 'stuff to accomplish', so that will keep me busy and outside my own head for some weeks I think.

Thrilled to be here and saludos a todos!

Disaster averted. Yesterday I was enjoying a nice coffee. I paid and got up to leave. Walked about a block and my waitress came running after me calling for me .... with .... MY BRIEFCASE!!! Holy cow. That would have been a serious hit had that person not shown me such a kindness. Phew. Close call.

I've never done anything like that in my life!

Disaster averted. Yesterday I was enjoying a nice coffee. I paid and got up to leave. Walked about a block and my waitress came running after me calling for me .... with .... MY BRIEFCASE!!! Holy cow. That would have been a serious hit had that person not shown me such a kindness. Phew. Close call.

I've never done anything like that in my life!

Boy were you lucky! As much as I like Argentina, my advice to visitors is always "never leave anything valuable unguarded!"

My sister went to a restroom in a restaurant and when she came back, the jacket she'd left on her chair was gone.

Boy were you lucky! As much as I like Argentina, my advice to visitors is always "never leave anything valuable unguarded!"

My sister went to a restroom in a restaurant and when she came back, the jacket she'd left on her chair was gone.

Argentines will chalk this up to making you a sharper person. Leave nothing unattended that you aren't wiling to lose and that includes your significant other. ;)

Ed and Mac, for crying out loud ... I won't even say how much cash I had in Dollars in that bag. Won't happen again. OMG. Never did that before. Will never do that again (until I do ...)

Ed and Mac, for crying out loud ... I won't even say how much cash I had in Dollars in that bag. Won't happen again. OMG. Never did that before. Will never do that again (until I do ...)

Take it from some who have been in and around Argentina for quite a while: you are very unlikely to get another freebie. If something similar ever happens, it's 99.999% that it will cause significant pain.

We were at the Dot Baires one time - I left my wallet on a table at one of the restaurants at the food court, and the waitress chased me halfway around the mall to return it. There are lots of good honest people in BA.

We were at the Dot Baires one time - I left my wallet on a table at one of the restaurants at the food court, and the waitress chased me halfway around the mall to return it. There are lots of good honest people in BA.

Oh, there are, and I have some good stories, too. But ... in a given situation, which way would you bet?

My husband once forgot his iPhone in an internet point where he went to print something. He realized so almost an hour later, rushed to the internet point and found it where he had forgot it. This was in mar del plata and the place did not have a lot of business going on, apparently.

Left a pen drive stuck in a PC in a Locutorio , went to the corner and came back , gone!!
I placed a sign offering a $$ reward for anyone returning the item. Later on Locutorio Encargado mentioned someone had found it and he could retrieve it for me....!

Back