I have my migraciones interview for residency this week. What happens if I skip it and just fly out of the country?

Fiscal

Registered
I've been in Argentina since the beginning of January 2021 on a tourist visa (allowed to enter and given 90 days to see my son). Will I have to pay a fine? Will there be more severe consequences, such as a ban from re-entry for being an illegal immigrant and overstaying my visa without the proper paperwork?

Why skip it though? In Argentina you can game the system for sure, but everything about your posts suggests you have some kind of life here and some kind of permanency (i.e., your child). If you've got nothing to lose you can mess around with flying in and out of Argentina and yes, you'll probably get away with it (whilst paying the fine). Still, if you have a path to residency for your specific situation compeleting the steps would be best, no? Especially during this time when there's a lot of focus on travel.

Why skip it though? In Argentina you can game the system for sure, but everything about your posts suggests you have some kind of life here and some kind of permanency (i.e., your child). If you've got nothing to lose you can mess around with flying in and out of Argentina and yes, you'll probably get away with it (whilst paying the fine). Still, if you have a path to residency for your specific situation compeleting the steps would be best, no? Especially during this time when there's a lot of focus on travel.

The only reason I am doing it because I overstayed my visa. I actually do not intend to live in Argentina on a permanent basis, so I don't really see much value in having residency here, other than to bring my current overstay within the law and separately, to be able to enter Argentina as a resident if the country shuts its borders again.

I don't really see much value in having residency here,

Be able to enter Argentina as a resident if the country shuts its borders again.
You already give yourself one reason. Being a resident will allow you to enter properly without having a spotlight increasingly on you each time. Regarding your current situation, I don't know the specifics around overstaying during the pandemic, but under normal situations your overstay is not within the law and an interview for residency won't change that. Getting the DNI before travelling would, but that's not the purpose of the interview. So, you are paying the fine when you leave whether you have the interview or not, and being flagged on the system again. Argentina is incredibly lenient to people abusing the overstay system, I should know as I did it for 7 years, but I found the last few times I flew out they were far more suspicous.

You're using the word "interview" loosely, yes? I don't remember an interview but rather appointments to organize papers and state reasons for residency, etc.

You already give yourself one reason. Being a resident will allow you to enter properly without having a spotlight increasingly on you each time. Regarding your current situation, I don't know the specifics around overstaying during the pandemic, but under normal situations your overstay is not within the law and an interview for residency won't change that. Getting the DNI before travelling would, but that's not the purpose of the interview. So, you are paying the fine when you leave whether you have the interview or not, and being flagged on the system again. Argentina is incredibly lenient to people abusing the overstay system, I should know as I did it for 7 years, but I found the last few times I flew out they were far more suspicous.

You're using the word "interview" loosely, yes? I don't remember an interview but rather appointments to organize papers and state reasons for residency, etc.
The "interview" is apparently just taking my fingerprints and showing them my son's original birth certificate.

Back