I love the Venezuelans in Buenos Aires

There are a lot of them here in La Plata, drawn by the free universities. They seem to be ambitious and hardworking and very happy to be here.

Most of the Venezuelan waiters dont know how to open a wine bottle. Seen that in various restaurants. I prefer to deal with fellow Argentinians any day.

I have a hunch that Venezuelans in Argentina are not the Chavistas or the Mestizos. Venezuelans in Argentina are the Europeans who used to be the ruling class in their country before Chavez.
Venezuelans are 2/3 Chavistas Mestizos, and 1/3 Europeans (Chavez opponents).

Last edited:
I have a hunch that Venezuelans in Argentina are not the Chavistas or the Mestizos. Venezuelans in Argentina are the Europeans who used to be the ruling class in their country before Chavez.
Venezuelans are 2/3 Chavistas Mestizos, and 1/3 Europeans (Chavez opponents).
Every Venezuelan I met here showed a strong work ethic and positive outlook on life. They are appreciate having a job and take it seriously. Many left family members back in Venezuela to get work here. I don't give a shit what class or group they might be in. My initial impression is that Argentine companies (transfers, remis etc) are probably paying them less but also getting a more reliable and better output from them compared to the Argentine counterparts.

Please, take it easy @Somewhereinba.
I´m not disagreeing with you.
I´m trying to say, they are not used to open bottles of wine in restaurants. They were lawyers and doctors in their country. They were not groomed to be career waiters or remis drivers.

Sorry if my post was misunderstood.

Last edited:
I selected a baby carriage and few extras. The Venezuelan sales girl, stepped in front of the Argentine salesman who sold me the carriage and extras and asked me if I owned a car. After hearing no, she told me not to buy one of the extras as it was unnecessary. What the hell was she thinking? Establish goodwill and maybe a long term customer? Poor girl didn't know she was making a cultural faux pas. As I was walking out she asked "Can I put it together for you?" After living here 15 years at the time, I was in shock, of a pleasant variety. This was at the beginning of the influx of Venezuelans. What's bad for Venezuela is good for Argentina in terms of the exodus. Seeing their homeland in ruins, missing their friends and family, taking on more menial work and still having such a positive attitude and great personalities is a source of amazement. I concur with everyone above, what a breath of fresh air they are.

Please, take it easy @Somewhereinba.
I´m not disagreeing with you.
I´m trying to say, they are not used to open bottles of wine in restaurants. They were lawyers and doctors in their country. They were not groomed to be career waiters or remis drivers.

Sorry if my post was misunderstood.

You mean a Venezuelan doctor can't be certified as a doctor in Argentina? He has to drive a remise?

Back