I miss sailing - anyone have a boat?

benb

Registered
One thing I really miss here is sailing - I see boats all the time, but there don't seem to be any "community boating"-type clubs that let people sail recreationally. If anyone has a boat and is looking for a fellow passenger or crew member, I'd love to join. (I have several years of recreational sailing experience and a season of ocean racing experience as a crew member.)

I know the main (and possibly only) yacht club in el Centro - I think the BA Yacht Club? - has boats that members can use.

Also, I echo benb´s request, I am also an avid sailor (small boat and keel boat) and would love to get out on the water.

I will have to visit and get chatting.
How does yachting here compare to the silent, uk?

I've been reading about liveaboards and so I wonder how friendly and liberal the area is. I'm getting the impression that the river is much more controlled but this is should be only a minor thing, not a problem with some planning.

-is it a rich mans sport? by rich I mean, rich by western standards
-as a less marine based country I'd expect there to be less support?
-is there a lack of cheap mooring fees?
-is crime a problem?

in the uk its a very expensive sport unless you drop anchor and use a tiller, certainly in the solent. but the support is good. I'd imagine here might be different? easy to get ripped off with repairs?

I have a dream of living aboard a boat so that would include Argentina. I'm configuring that dream a little, trying to inspire myself and also figure out what it might take to make it reality. even if unattainable a dream holds great value

Most sailing around here is done out of the northern suburbs , Olivos , San Isidro and San Fernando. Generally you must be a member even to get on club property. There are several international regatta's throughout the year , and a lot of local racing. Of course , most of this happens in the summer months. Most of my wife's friends have boats and I race out of Olivos on Star Class boats. I am in soggy , hot Florida for a bit , but back in BA next month. Pm me , and can probably get you out when it warms up.

Back