I need help regarding how to receive SMS (AT&T)

Jay J.

Registered
My cell phone recently went missing here in BA. Now I am unable to receive needed SMS Gmail, credit card, bank ... etc. verifications because my new unlocked Android phone is incompatible, by virtue of its IMEI number, with my AT&T service in the USA.

Unfortunately, GoogleVoice is not a solution since, due to hardware incompatibility, I cannot access my AT&T number from here. Thus, I cannot port my AT&T number to GoogleVoice. Further, trying to create a GoogleVoice from here has been unsuccessful as GoogleVoice will not recognize VOIP numbers. From the AT&T service side, due to the IMEI incompatibility, enhanced roaming and WiFi calling plans are precluded.

So, I am in a real mess - a circular Catch-22 loop. I wonder if anyone here has experienced this issue, and who might have a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you explain some more? You got a new, unlocked, phone, and put your replacement AT&T SIM in it? The IMEI number shouldn't play any role (unless you have to register it with your bank, which would be unusual, I think)

Can you explain some more? You got a new, unlocked, phone, and put your replacement AT&T SIM in it? The IMEI number shouldn't play any role (unless you have to register it with your bank, which would be unusual, I think)

Hello Frank. AT&T's tech support said that neither my new phone's IMEI nor e-IMEI numbers indicate compatibility with the AT&T network. I checked with them twice. Thus, I am trying, to develop a work around via some mix of VOIP capabilities.

Perhaps this is a fruitless pursuit, but I owe it to myself to exhaust all plausible options.

Thanks for your response.

Hello Frank. AT&T's tech support said that neither my new phone's IMEI nor e-IMEI numbers indicate compatibility with the AT&T network. I checked with them twice.

What phone did you buy here? I assume you still got your AT&T SIM card, right?

What phone did you buy here? I assume you still got your AT&T SIM card, right?
It is a Samsung S22 Ultra. I do have the AT&T SIM but it is not recognized by the network. I use eSIM for my Personal network

It is a Samsung S22 Ultra. I do have the AT&T SIM but it is not recognized by the network. I use eSIM for my Personal networ

If you do not have the physical SIM card, it is not possible to enable an eSim outside the reach of an AT&T tower in the USA. The issue has nothing to do with the IMEI. If you fly to Miami, enable the esim with your new Samsung S22 it will work. If someone mails you a phone from USA they must register your ATT eSim in USA before sending. Other option is to ask ATT to send a physical SIM card. Have it sent to a friend, which they must enable with your number and any old phone, and then they can mail you only the physical sim to put in your S22. They can also just answer all your 2FA code SMS to help you transition all your important services to a new virtual phone.

There are many new virtual phone numbers you can setup to receive SMS from your bank, etc… They have been discussed in forums if you search.

You can enable a new google voice number by asking a friend or family in USA to borrow their real number for a day which you use in the GV signup. Ask for USA friend to answer the call or sms to tell you the code in that same 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Your Samsung S22 Ultra is listed as compatible in the the list sent by @lunar

Previously it was not clear to me if you have ATT eSim or physical sim. Your last message mentions something about a Personal eSim. Why does a Personal eSim have relevance in this conversation? Did you buy the new Samsung S22 from Personal? Did they sell you an unlocked phone?

Hello Frank. AT&T's tech support said that neither my new phone's IMEI nor e-IMEI numbers indicate compatibility with the AT&T network. I checked with them twice. Thus, I am trying, to develop a work around via some mix of VOIP capabilities.

Perhaps this is a fruitless pursuit, but I owe it to myself to exhaust all plausible options.

Thanks for your response.
You're not on AT&T's network, though, you have an AT&T SIM and you're roaming on the Personal network. Since the phone obviously works fine here, with the Personal eSIM, there's no reason it shouldn't work with the AT&T SIM, as long as AT&T roaming and data services are enabled.

Back