I Tried Xoom Today

jeff1234

Registered
I've seen several posts recently where people discussed mixed experiences with Xoom.
So I tried it today and had a very good experience.
I transferred $200 from my bank account in the USA to a kiosko here. I received 1252.85 pesos (after paying their fee).
This is a net rate of 6.26:1.
It took me about 10 minutes to create a Xoom account and order the funds transfer.
In 10 minutes I got a message that Xoom had called my USA phone to confirm. I called them back and it took less than a minute to satisfy them.
When I picked up the pesos it took about 20 minutes to fill out the forms. I needed the help of someone who spoke fluent spanish. We were told that next time I would only need to show my passport.
I am completely satisfied with Xoom, especially the 6.2:1 rate.

Once you actually jump through the hoops of all the paperwork they want, it works actually quite well. I posted on another thread of my experience with them and all the paperwork they wanted. It took over a week the first time.

But I just sent myself $2,000 US and it only took 24 hours. I did find it interesting that they deposited the total in my bank account in amounts of no more than 5,000 pesos at a time to my local bank account there.

The More Money Argentina place told me once they have your paperwork and you're in the system, it's relatively quick and my 2nd transaction with them proved to be true.

earlyretirement said:
Once you actually jump through the hoops of all the paperwork they want, it works actually quite well. I posted on another thread of my experience with them and all the paperwork they wanted. It took over a week the first time.

But I just sent myself $2,000 US and it only took 24 hours. I did find it interesting that they deposited the total in my bank account in amounts of no more than 5,000 pesos at a time to my local bank account there.

The More Money Argentina place told me once they have your paperwork and you're in the system, it's relatively quick and my 2nd transaction with them proved to be true.

I think I remember your post about it taking a week the first time, thats one reason that I tried Xoom when I really didn't need a money transfer. My first time the transfer was pretty much immediate and I had a choice of 8 places in La Plata to pick up my money.

Thanks for your post. I looked into it previously and then when they said that I could only collect the money at a BBVA bank in downtown BA I got turned off. Seems there are alternatives. I am willing to try it as it seems to work for you. Where did you get the list of kiosks?

New York said:
Thanks for your post. I looked into it previously and then when they said that I could only collect the money at a BBVA bank in downtown BA I got turned off. Seems there are alternatives. I am willing to try it as it seems to work for you. Where did you get the list of kiosks?

https://www.xoom.com/xoom-locations

Sleuth said:
Is that list accurate? I've heard that Libertad is the only actual location.

Just the libertad location, I tried a different one and they directed me to Libertad saying it had been a LONG time since they handled the transfers.

I sent my wife a transfer last month, and a 2nd last week. I tried sending her another on Monday, Xoom sent me email on Tuesday morning stating that it was ready for pickup. She went to the pickup location in Corrientes Wednesday and Thursday, they told her they couldn't see it. She went again this morning and they wouldn't release it becuase her name on her DNI didn't match what I recorded in the transaction. Mind you, this is the same pickup location, same DNI, same wife, and I used the same recipient information on Xoom's website. The staff at the pickup location told her that I have to enter her middle name in the last name field on the Xoom website, that I shouldn't use her actual last name. Seriously? Ticket open with Xoom in the US, I wonder how they'll resolve it.

kurtdillard said:
I sent my wife a transfer last month, and a 2nd last week. I tried sending her another on Monday, Xoom sent me email on Tuesday morning stating that it was ready for pickup. She went to the pickup location in Corrientes Wednesday and Thursday, they told her they couldn't see it. She went again this morning and they wouldn't release it becuase her name on her DNI didn't match what I recorded in the transaction. Mind you, this is the same pickup location, same DNI, same wife, and I used the same recipient information on Xoom's website. The staff at the pickup location told her that I have to enter her middle name in the last name field on the Xoom website, that I shouldn't use her actual last name. Seriously? Ticket open with Xoom in the US, I wonder how they'll resolve it.

Argentina places have always been really weird about this sort of thing and the DNI matching EXACTLY how it appears. I remember a few years ago I got a Western Union payment and they didn't put in my middle name which appears on my DNI.... I had to have the payment cancelled and sent again. So I know it's not just Xoom.

I'd just cancel it and resend it how they want it and it should go through. It's better if you can get one specific employee name/email and work with them. That's what I did when they first requested all of my paperwork. Cristian at More Argentina was really efficient and helpful.

I had the same problem with my name and I had to cancel and re-send. However, once that was done, it was pretty simple. Good luck.

Back