If I have a DNI now, will AFIP come after me?

Fiscal

Registered
Like, will I need to renounce my residency in order to avoid paying Argentina's wealth tax and whatever other taxes they will want from me?

Assuming your residency is not linked to employment or being a foreign diplomat, the generally the minute you spend more than 183 (?) days a year in Argentina you are liable for the full suite of taxes here. With the DNI comes a CUIL, a tax ID number which will be linked to any electronic transaction you make amongst other things making it easier to ask questions on spending vs. income or otherwise track you down. Do a quick google of PWC or Deloitte tax guides for Argentina that summarize all the ins and outs of tax residency and liabilities.

Not really. Having a DNI and a CUIL does not mean you are "registered" with the AFIP automatically. You literally have to REQUEST to be registered with them. Despite all the talk on this forum citing the PWC and Deloitte tax guides, I feel these are based on a very narrow and unrealistic reading of the AR law. While the legal interpretation is sound, the reality on the ground is very different. If you are a mere temporary resident in Argentina AND have no economic activity here, I wouldn't worry. No one will come after you. Half of the Argentines are not even paying taxes that they should be paying and no one is going after them...Now if you are a permanents resident and/or have ARG source income then you may brush shoulders with the AFIP.

FADB4A60-4460-464E-869D-EAD1B0231950.png

Maybe just a word to the wise before exchanging further “tips” on this forum (and not just in this thread or to anyone in particular...) if one googles “expat tax in argentina” or similar, this forum is often among the top results. Am pretty sure some things are best left unsaid or for people to come to their own conclusions about how the system works in “practice”.
A liability is just that, a liability.

View attachment 7181

Maybe just a word to the wise before exchanging further “tips” on this forum (and not just in this thread or to anyone in particular...) if one googles “expat tax in argentina” or similar, this forum is often among the top results. Am pretty sure some things are best left unsaid or for people to come to their own conclusions about how the system works in “practice”.
A liability is just that, a liability.

I agree. Obviously, anyone in doubt should consults a licensed tax attorney. The opinions (including mine) here are just that, opinions.

In any event I actually have no intention of returning to Argentina,

Back