If I use someone else's DNI for online purchases, will they be responsible for paying for it in their income tax?

I'm originally from the US and currently living with my boyfriend who's an Argentine citizen. After looking around, I'm finding that it's not easy to do things here without a DNI (if not outright impossible), which seems to include getting a SIM card or a bank account without potentially being reported for overstaying. In the event I go through the trouble to get a bank account or prepaid card under my name but use my boyfriend's DNI to register/pay for things (e.g. MercadoLibre or flights), will the information be reported back to the Argentine equivalent of their IRS and will he be responsible for including those payments in his income tax?

If the question doesn't make sense, please let me know.
So, a couple different things:

- You can get a SIM card with your passport
- It's difficult to do things here without a DNI at times, yes, but this can easily be overcome for you since your BF is an Argentine citizen
- It took several months to get my DNI, and during the meantime, my husband and I got a Naranja prepaid visa card; there's no name on it
so you can use it in person to pay for things so he doesn't always need to be with you, and you can show your state ID/driver's license as ID
when asked at the store
- You will not be able to get a card or bank account in your name using your BF's DNI (or more specifically, his CUIT/L); the U stands for unico meaning it's meant for the single person in which it is issued
- Online purchases via Mercadolibre and such can be used with his DNI and his account, he can log in to the app on your phone and you can
just use it like he would
- Tax implications: this is basically a non-issue provided you guys aren't spending an insane amount of money. I think you might be a bit confused as the only tax obligations are VAT at the time of sale (included in the price of the items you purchase) or the impuesto PAIS/etc. when buying tickets abroad, which again, are included in the price. Where your boyfriend could have trouble with AFIP (the Argentine version of the IRS) is if he's spending hundreds of thousands of pesos per month/millions of pesos per year and has no papertrail indicating where the money came from. I assume your BF works, right? Even if he doesn't, you can send pesos to his account here via Western Union or MoneyGram as familiar support and that's a justifiable source of income. Again, the Financial Intelligence Unit is only interested in these kids I often see posting online about working completely under the table abroad, paying no taxes at all, and then getting their bank accounts or digital wallets frozen when trying to deposit hundreds of thousands of pesos they got from a cave or P2P cryptocurrency sale. Unlike them, you guys would have a justifiable source of income (transfers from you), and several members of this board have been doing this for years and have never paid income taxes here themselves.

Hope this helps!

1.Overstaying your visa or allowed stay in Argentina is an administrative infringement it's NOT a crime like say the US. In that instance no one is obliged to report you or anything of sorts.
2. You CANNOT get a bank account here if you are not resident temporario or permanente (have a DNI).
3. It seems like you are very nonchalant about the residency process and don't even know what category (if any) you are eligible for. And yes, the NOMAD visa is one option, and yes it's basically an extended tourist visa. If granted it's an "residencia transitoria" and not temporaria so you cannot get a DNI.

1.Overstaying your visa or allowed stay in Argentina is an administrative infringement it's NOT a crime like say the US. In that instance no one is obliged to report you or anything of sorts.
2. You CANNOT get a bank account here if you are not resident temporario or permanente (have a DNI).
3. It seems like you are very nonchalant about the residency process and don't even know what category (if any) you are eligible for. And yes, the NOMAD visa is one option, and yes it's basically an extended tourist visa. If granted it's an "residencia transitoria" and not temporaria so you cannot get a DNI.
Lol thanks for the answers. Since residency wasn't really my question, I hadn't clarified that I didn't look thoroughly into it yet since I'm traveling and otherwise occupied for the upcoming future, but it seems I'm getting blasted for it anyway haha.
I know there are a lot of resources available on residency, some of which I lightly skimmed through and most of which I bookmarked for later reading, which is why I didn't ask about it here.
My original inquiry was about more immediate temporary financial arrangements outside of residency. It's something I'm considering for the later future (and yes, something I'll expedite on my to-research list now), but since my near- to mid- term future includes a lot of traveling, I likely won't actually start the process for a while.

Last edited:
Lol thanks for the answers. Since residency wasn't really my question, I hadn't clarified that I didn't look thoroughly into it yet since I'm traveling and otherwise occupied for the upcoming future, but it seems I'm getting blasted for it anyway haha.
I know there are a lot of resources available on residency, some of which I lightly skimmed through and most of which I bookmarked for later reading, which is why I didn't ask about it here.
My original inquiry was about more immediate temporary financial arrangements outside of residency. It's something I'm considering for the later future (and yes, something I'll expedite on my to-research list now), but since my near- to mid- term future includes a lot of traveling, I likely won't actually start the process for a while.
Well, all over the world purchases are taxes thru a 'sales tax' (US) or VAT (aka IVA). It has nothing to do with income tax.

nobody cares. really they dont give a shit abut your overstay, if its not DNM themselves. I doubt there is even a way to report somebody.
I was served with a citation from DNM during the citizenship process. Under advice of legal counsel, I didn't appear. They could deport me under the law

Translation of the citation text:
You must appear before this Department of Administrative Management Building No. 5 Floor 1 of this Address, for the purpose of notifying it of the decision adopted by Disp. 238296 / 12 under penalty of following the actions according to law

BRING IDENTITY DOCUMENT OR IDENTITY CERTIFICATE

IMAG0007.JPG.

Last edited:
Back