If You Are Going To Colonia, This Might Be Of Interest.....

DeeMan

Registered
I was in Colonia on friday (Montevideo now) ran into an english couple and they could not withdraw any money from ATMs, dollars or pesos, in Colonia. Their credit card worked at the bus station and restaurants but no cash from ATMs. They were super desparate as they had zero cash. They tried every bank in Colonia, cash advance on credit card, everything , no dice.

They were staying same spot as me and they said 2 others had the same issue. Talked to another english girl on the bus to Montevideo, same problem. She was pretty upset as again, no cash.

Not sure what the issue is/ was(?), not going to get into various theories, but if you need cash in colonia............

I was in Colonia last week, could withdraw anything I want (took out +2K).

Several possible explanations:
- Many ATM's were empty (Christmas shopping) which happens. The best bank to withdraw (well maybe not anymore after mentioning it...) cash seems to be Discount Bank (green facade) on the main avenue of the city center, not far from the City Hall.
- Some of them don't know about the 300 USD limit.
- They didn't made the right selection (Visa/MC International, etc.)

I was in Colonia 18,19 and 20th. had no problem extracted enough for a few months.....!!

When I was in colonia on the 19th there were long lines of people taking out 2000 + dollars in 300 dollar increments at every bank, I'm guessing they may have just run out of cash.

Note to self: Next Christmas Eve be in Colonia with cash to exchange with desperate foreigners.

If you have a bank account in Colonia,I do,and you don't want to spend $250 on the trips,I can do a deal with you.

When I was in colonia on the 19th there were long lines of people taking out 2000 + dollars in 300 dollar increments at every bank, I'm guessing they may have just run out of cash.

I was lucky very very lucky on the 18, 19 and 20th. and never had to line up to extract to the max. I do a few extractions in the morning and then later after lunch , normally in banks that have 24 hour ATM service. ...!!!

The explanation may be due to the super-vigilance of several British Banks e.g Lloyds who now require customers to have given prior notification by telephone before money is withdrawn if visiting abroad and seeking to use cards However they also have emergency money arrangements but again they require telephone calls to set these up,

The explanation may be due to the super-vigilance of several British Banks e.g Lloyds who now require customers to have given prior notification by telephone before money is withdrawn if visiting abroad and seeking to use cards However they also have emergency money arrangements but again they require telephone calls to set these up,

Most banks require previous phone call or chat notice to increase the daily ATM limit and to inform the exact dates of of travel, the limit is raised for 10 days max. Otherwise after the first extraction your card blocks....!! It happened

can one buy euros with arg pesos in BA and if so any idea how many pesos to buy euro.

Back