Igauzu

scottgro

Registered
Hi all,

Wanting to plan a quick trip up to the Cataratas before it gets extremely hot and am turning to the forum for advice. Is it worth venturing over to the Brazlian side (I will need to obtain a visa).

How much are r/t flights to Igauzu? Assuming a fortune, which is the most reputable long distance bus company to take?

Thanks!!

I definitely think it's worth it to see the Cataratas from BOTH the Argentina and Brazil sides as they are two totally different perspectives. I enjoyed both of them in different ways.

I'm not sure what prices are going for these days but just go to LAN's or Aerolineas Argentina's websites to see prices for the dates you want.

I agree, it is best to see both sides. The Brazilian side is breathtaking, with a walkway that practically goes into the garganta del diablo and panoramic views (though I haven't been in 17 years). The Argentine side is also breathtaking, with miles of walkways that take you into the falls, both above and below, and lots of wildlife (monkeys, toucans, coatis, amazing birds, etc.).

We were in Argentina this July for our annual visit and took our kids to see for their first time. We stuck to the Argentine side because the kiddos and I only have US passports, and a 5-year old gets the idea... However, we understand that there are no immigration controls and, if you're willing to take a risk, you can try to go without a visa. That said, I would recommend getting a visa and seeing from Brazil legally. If you make it to Foz, I used to love Bufalo Branco - was and probably still is a great rodizio.

Forgot to respond to your question about buses. We took Crucero del Norte and it was quite good. From what I saw at the bus terminal in Puerto Iguazu, Singer also looks good. 18 hours is a long time to be on a bus. Next time, we'll brave the uncertainty of Argentinean air travel and fly.

I think VIA BARILOCHE has the best service to Misiones, Singer is good too.
Since it is a long haul get one with a comfy bed system.

I just got back on Monday evening. If you have the budget take the plane!

Our bus going there got stuck in traffic because of the storm last friday and it was raining the whole night so the driver was taking it slow...it took 21 hours in total....and for some reason we were an hour late on the ride back also. That was with Singer, I wouldn't recommend them. The service wasn't good (we got 1 drink throughout the whole 20 hours, the food was bad, they didn't supply sheets for the sleep, and at one point they turned the A/C off and forgot to turn it back and so I had to go down and ask them to turn it back on at 2am..it was like a sauna!). I was in semi-cama I believe.

Stilllllll it was worth the trip, amazing place and the climate was great for the weekend 30 degrees and clear skies and not too humid!

RNelson said:
I agree, it is best to see both sides. The Brazilian side is breathtaking, with a walkway that practically goes into the garganta del diablo and panoramic views (though I haven't been in 17 years).

There is a walkway into garganta del diablo on the Argentine side, is that what you're thinking of?

It's quite a lovely trip and this time of year is perfect. I was just there a few weeks ago. Had on a long sleeved shirt and was perfectly comfortable walking around.

FWIW, I think you would see more than enough on the Argentine side without going through the headache and expense of getting a visa for Brasil. There is the upper circuit, the lower circuit and the walk out on the bridges to the garganta del diablo. And they have the train that takes you from one point to another (park entrance/entrance to the upper/lower circuit/entrance to the bridges to garganta). Plus if you're feeling adventurous/flush with cash, you can do one of the adventure tours from ecological paddling to a powerboat below the falls.

We took the plane - well worth it. It's a short flight and couldn't be easier. No idea on prices, best to check Aerolineas (I think our flight was designated Austral).

Have fun!

HenryNisental said:
I think VIA BARILOCHE has the best service to Misiones, Singer is good too.
Since it is a long haul get one with a comfy bed system.

Via Bariloche has been a great experience for me in former times - nevertheless, since one of the owners got killed in an accident - ironically involving one of his own buses - last year (http://tn.com.ar/sociedad/00076891/...murio-al-chocar-contra-un-micro-de-su-empresa) Christina took over the company (http://diadelsur.com.ar/diario/3045-cristina-kirchner-compro-el-hotel-llao-llao-y-via-bariloche).

I would rather hitchhike all the way up to Iguazu than supporting one of her enterprises...

Thanks for the replies!

Flights appear to be very expensive, but perhaps if I pay in cash at a reputable agency (with my Xoom rate), a flight may be doable. If not, I appreciate the bus tips!

Back