Illegal to discuss informal market?

sergio

Registered
Someone sent me the following extract from a publication called The Daily Reckoning. I don't know the publication but I am curious to know if there is even such a rumor:

"To take a foreign vacation, Argentines have to apply to a bureaucrat for permission and explain where they got the money for the trip. And there are rumors that it will be made illegal to talk about the existence of the shadow market exchange rate for dollars".

To go out of the country if you need to buy dollars/euros/reals at the official rate You have to fill in an electronic form on the internet and the AFIP (inland revenue) decides how much you are authorised to buy at the official rate. You can also buy dollars or euros at the no official rate much higher obviously but there has been a clamp down on the street exchange sellers, some sent to jail. Not a very nice situation to be in when its ones own money that you want to exchange... More controls at the customs on leaving and entering the country, recently came back from europe and had to go through a 2 hour Q !!!!

The "arbolitos" have existed as long as I can remember. Decades.
For them, being detained comes with the job description.

This current "Thought Police" takes itself more seriously.

Long exhausting Qs at customs are the rule and not the exception.

In Venezuela its a serious Crime to mention in Any Media the value of the parallel Dollar...! The parallel rate is 100 % over the Official.

Back