I'm In Ba And I Want To Move Here. Be My Friend!

rapunzeljoy

Registered
Hey, I'm Rebecca. I am in my last few days of a month long trip to Argentina and I am unexpectedly in Buenos Aires for a few days longer (leaving on 28th). Now that I've decided I want to move here (and continue my job in the states, working remotely) I need to figure out where (and how?) I want to live. Anyone want to give me some advice on neighborhoods and logistics, possibly have coffee and discuss? At the moment I'm staying in San Telmo.

check out Palermo if you haven't already. I much prefer it to San Telmo. Also the surrounding neighbs are nice too.. Colegiales and Las Cañitas in particular.

Hey there, swing by coffee chat if you can tomorrow. We'll chat about pointers and any other questions you might have.

http://baexpats.org/topic/32107-coffee-chat-wed-26-nov-2014-4-7pm-recoleta/page__st__10#entry285668

I spent the day walking all around Palermo. It's beautiful! In fact, it may be slightly too beautiful for me. I don't think it'll be super expensive (by Chicago standards), but it seems maybe ritzier than I'm used to. I'll walk around Recoleta tomorrow and I'll keep those neighborhoods surrounding Palermo in mind.

Here's another question. I really like the traditional cities with a central square that you just wander into after walking down a street with houses, mechanics' shops and pharmacies. Mendoza is like that. Is there a neighborhood in Buenos Aires you'd recommend that has that type of feel? Palermo has such beautiful parks, but they are a little separated from the residences by huge avenues.

The only thing I can see with that link is a general map of the north of Buenos Aires. A lot of times if you click the little gear at the bottom of the page and hit "Share and Embed link" you'll get a better view. Or you could just tell me a neighborhood or intersection to find it myself.

Thanks for helping!

I spent the day walking all around Palermo. It's beautiful! In fact, it may be slightly too beautiful for me. I don't think it'll be super expensive (by Chicago standards), but it seems maybe ritzier than I'm used to. I'll walk around Recoleta tomorrow and I'll keep those neighborhoods surrounding Palermo in mind.

Here's another question. I really like the traditional cities with a central square that you just wander into after walking down a street with houses, mechanics' shops and pharmacies. Mendoza is like that. Is there a neighborhood in Buenos Aires you'd recommend that has that type of feel? Palermo has such beautiful parks, but they are a little separated from the residences by huge avenues.

Sounds like you didn't venture above Avenida Santa Fe, which is the more bohemian, "trendy" but more subtle side of Palermo. Recoleta by comparison is much fancier but if you only stayed in the part of Palermo below Santa Fe, it's going to look exactly the same (but more fancy, less regular shops) in Recoleta. Look up Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood and have a wander around Plaza Serrano, Plaza Armenia, (both in Palermo Soho) and then down Fitzroy St in Palermo Hollywood. You will not be disappointed!!!

Agree with Lucha but I think she was north of Santa Fe. Also, Mendoza is way smaller a city. BA is a monstrosity in comparison. To get closer to that feel you'll probably need to explore areas outside of Capital Federal. San Isidro may be a venture point on your list. It's only a train ride away, and it's cheaper than the bus!

Check out Belgrano's parks. One is at Juramento and Echeverria. That's a good example. Also, spend some time on Google maps. Look for green space, then go to Satelite view, then to Street View.

Back