Immigraciones opens

artisans

Registered
With first year visa and DNI expiring I applied via Radex to renew the visa in May 2020. After completing the application in Radex and receiving a new temporary Precaria, the wait was on for an appointment with Immigraciones. Two appointments were offered over the past 5 months and cancelled the day before or the day of the scheduled appointment. Due to Covid quarantines.
Late September received another updated temporary Precaria and an appointment date for 7 October, today. The good news, Immigraciones fulfilled that appointment today. They appear to be back in business in this aspect.

Some observations: in my case applying Pensionado required a Benefits letter from the US Embassy Argentina. After being closed since at least May the US Embassy Argentina started issuing the Benefits letter, with an appointment and also by e-mail. Immigraciones is accepting this letter, however, they require it to be legalized. At the appointment, after pointing out to them that Cancilleria is closed and the Cancilleria online website for legalizing documents does not respond, they gave a letter requiring me to provide a legalized Benefits letter within 90 days. They said the legalized letter can be scanned and uploaded to a / their website. Did not provide the web address.
At the conclusion of the appointment I received a new Precaria and they advised that "they" had 90 days to deliver the new DNI via Correo Argentina.
A guy provided a Renaper e-mail address that supposedly one can check the progress of the DNI which is "done in another department" and Immigraciones knows nothing. Anyone familiar with this statement made in the past, before the pandemic, knows how flawed their process is in getting hands on the new DNI. In the pandemic? Who knows.
Another observation - my address had changed since making application in May. I brought the new Certificado de Domicilio for the new address to the meeting expecting them to update the address in the Precaria, for the new DNI, for the mailing of the new DNI. The documents they gave me at the meeting all have the old address which I didn't notice until after leaving the meeting. The usual angst and handwringing to follow no doubt.

Thanks for the update Artisans.
1. How many days after you uploaded the docs in Radex did they send you the precaria back in May? They claim it takes only 48hs but I am skeptical of this statement.
2. Am I understanding correctly that you were "intimado" to deliver/send the legalized benefits letter within 90 days? If this is the case go to:
Check your status there see if it says "intimado" under "mas informacion".
There should also be a button to attach "additional documents", which I think is where you'd be uploading the legalized document when you get it.
3. Don't worry about the address. Same thing happened to me. That can be changed before OR EVEN AFTER they have issued the the DNI. Just make sure next time you deal with them you have the Cert de domicilio with the new address you want on your DNI. I got my residency under an old address but moved before I got my DNI, so when I went to renovate the DNI just gave them the new Cert de domicilio and they changed the address, no problem.
4. Did you pay the 10k pesos for the preferential cita? That would explain why you got in so quick in October, when many people who applied in March/April are still waiting.

Thanks for the update Artisans.
1. How many days after you uploaded the docs in Radex did they send you the precaria back in May? They claim it takes only 48hs but I am skeptical of this statement.
2. Am I understanding correctly that you were "intimado" to deliver/send the legalized benefits letter within 90 days? If this is the case go to:
Check your status there see if it says "intimado" under "mas informacion".
There should also be a button to attach "additional documents", which I think is where you'd be uploading the legalized document when you get it.
3. Don't worry about the address. Same thing happened to me. That can be changed before OR EVEN AFTER they have issued the the DNI. Just make sure next time you deal with them you have the Cert de domicilio with the new address you want on your DNI. I got my residency under an old address but moved before I got my DNI, so when I went to renovate the DNI just gave them the new Cert de domicilio and they changed the address, no problem.
4. Did you pay the 10k pesos for the preferential cita? That would explain why you got in so quick in October, when many people who applied in March/April are still waiting.
I initiated the process in Radex on 26 May and they sent the Precaria on 8 June. In that interim there was back and forth about perfecting the documents uploaded to Radex, largely delayed over the issue of an acceptable Benefits letter which was finally fixed by getting a translation of the Benefits letter downloaded in English from the US website. That plus a copy of the e-mail from US Embassy Argentina saying basically 'we're closed and not providing the Benefits Letter now. So they apparently assumed there was no more juice in that fulfilling that requirement and let it ride.
Regards #2 - thanks the URL
Regards #3 the new address and Cert de Domicilio - I went to the meeting today with the new Cert de Domicilio and specifically asked they use the new address! They should of and I assume could of done it right there. Didn't happen. Given the fiasco of not getting the first DNI delivered to my address, and am now living at a different address than is on the new Precaria - it's SNAFU and a concern.
Please provide more of the details of how and where you did this: "so when I went to renovate the DNI just gave them the new Cert de domicilio and they changed the address, no problem." And whether you think it's relevant to current circumstances, where everything appears closed.
#4 I did not pay the preferential cita. The 'turnos' came, then cancelled over those months, so I assume I was just on their 'to do list' since the first turno was cancelled.

I applied for my visa renewal in Dec 2019. I received the approval earlier this week. Now only 6-8 weeks until my DNI arrives at my office that has been closed since covid started. So I'm supposing that I will never see that valid DNI.

At the conclusion of the appointment I received a new Precaria and they advised that "they" had 90 days to deliver the new DNI via Correo Argentina.
A guy provided a Renaper e-mail address that supposedly one can check the progress of the DNI which is "done in another department" and Immigraciones knows nothing. Anyone familiar with this statement made in the past, before the pandemic, knows how flawed their process is in getting hands on the new DNI. In the pandemic? Who knows.
You didn't get a webpage to check the status? I can only offer my experience, YMMV, but the link to check the status of your DNI only gives useful information when the DNI has been produced, and is in the process of being sent (it's a Correos de Argentina link).

Outside of that period, no, it tells you it can't find anything. Which is enormous fun when you've moved for example, and you think maybe someone at your old address could intercept it for you, there is only a few window of a few days where you can get information on the whereabouts of your DNI, which is why my DNI is in the DNI graveyard at Av. Jujuy and like jblaze I'm at least wondering if I will ever see my currently valid DNI. Bah. AWA ("Argentina Wins Again", or should the second A be "Always"?).

On an earlier thread, someone (I can't remember who, or which thread--may even have been this one) explained that the DNI is not really the key document, it's kind of like the fancy front end of the official letter that grants us the residency. Convenient to have of course, but not really the thing that counts if your legal status ever comes into question.

On an earlier thread, someone (I can't remember who, or which thread--may even have been this one) explained that the DNI is not really the key document, it's kind of like the fancy front end of the official letter that grants us the residency. Convenient to have of course, but not really the thing that counts if your legal status ever comes into question.

Exactly. When I renewed my residency in Nov 2019, the lady at Migraciones told me to go to Av Jujuy and REQUEST a new DNI. She said, "Go only if you really want the DNI" otherwise stay with the disposicion de residencia (that's all you need to travel and reenter Argentina). When I went to Av Jujuy, they just gave me "constancia de DNI en tramite" [a small piece of paper], which together with your old expired DNI "should" be enough when you need a valid DNI for some tramites, at the bank, etc. I did eventually get the DNI though.
Also note that currently all DNIs are valid for at least 30 days after the end of the quarantine DNU. Since that is going to go on for a few more months, all expired DNIs are still valid. As usual everything here is done with no "previsibilidad" just adding 30 days every month instead of simply extending everything my 6-12 months like they did in normal countries.

I initiated the process in Radex on 26 May and they sent the Precaria on 8 June. In that interim there was back and forth about perfecting the documents uploaded to Radex, largely delayed over the issue of an acceptable Benefits letter which was finally fixed by getting a translation of the Benefits letter downloaded in English from the US website.
Out of curiosity for my planning purposes. How long after you submitted the docs on Radex on the 26 May, did they get back to you (I presume via email) and requested the additional/perfected docs?

Regards #3 the new address and Cert de Domicilio - I went to the meeting today with the new Cert de Domicilio and specifically asked they use the new address! They should of and I assume could of done it right there. Didn't happen. Given the fiasco of not getting the first DNI delivered to my address, and am now living at a different address than is on the new Precaria - it's SNAFU and a concern.
Please provide more of the details of how and where you did this: "so when I went to renovate the DNI just gave them the new Cert de domicilio and they changed the address, no problem." And whether you think it's relevant to current circumstances, where everything appears closed.

You can do it when you submit your legalized benefits letter, just submit the new cert de domicilio thru the same channel. Again I am not sure if you have been "intimado", which (used to?) requires you physically go and deliver the legalized letter. Or perhaps they would accept submitting just the scanned version. It's possible they have changed their procedures due to Covid and the intimados don't have to return again, who knows. Even if they send the DNI tot he wrong address it will eventually be returned back to Av Jujuy and you'd just need to go pick it up.

I applied for my visa renewal in Dec 2019. I received the approval earlier this week. Now only 6-8 weeks until my DNI arrives at my office that has been closed since covid started. So I'm supposing that I will never see that valid DNI.
Was you residency extended till Dec 2020 or 1 year from this week?

Out of curiosity for my planning purposes. How long after you submitted the docs on Radex on the 26 May, did they get back to you (I presume via email) and requested the additional/perfected docs?
You can do it when you submit your legalized benefits letter, just submit the new cert de domicilio thru the same channel. Again I am not sure if you have been "intimado", which (used to?) requires you physically go and deliver the legalized letter. Or perhaps they would accept submitting just the scanned version. It's possible they have changed their procedures due to Covid and the intimados don't have to return again, who knows. Even if they send the DNI tot he wrong address it will eventually be returned back to Av Jujuy and you'd just need to go pick it up.
The response in the Radex system was frequent and constant from the individual reviewing my application and documents. Acknowledgement or instructions on additional docs required occured within a day or two after completing a phase.
The requirement is to upload the scanned document(s) only. No requirement to physically deliver the legalized letter.
Retrieving from Av Jujuy, should they open, is a repetitive nightmare that eventually may yield the DNI card.

Back