Immigration question

charlewar

Registered
Any advice for a retired US citizen who has spent almost 7 years living in Argentina now considering applying for residence? I return annually to the US for health checks and have done the expat shuffle to Uruguay numerous times and last August married an Argentine citizen. I've been told that 5 years of living in Argentina, plus a local police check, a utility bill in my name and a statement of (in my case) Social Security is all I need to get a precaria at migrations. All suggestions are welcome.

You can get your Social Security monthly benefits letter (in Spanish) at the US Embassy. You'll need to have it "leglized" and I believe the office that does that is on Aranales in Retiro near the Plaza San Martin.

I suggest you (or your wife) call migraciones to ask if you need an FBI background report. I don't think you will but you should be sure before you get your Argentine penales antecedentes and make a turno online to submit the paperwork to migraciones.

Be sure to make photocopies of everything, including every page of your passport and take them to migraciones with the originals.

Last edited:
You can get your Social Security monthly bebefits letter (in Spanish) at the US Embassy. You'll need to have it "leglized" and I believe the office that does that is on Aranales in Retiro near the Plaza San Martin.

I suggest you (or your wife) call migraciones to ask if you need an FBI background report. I don't think you will but you should be sure before you get your Argentine penales antecedentes and make a turno online to submit the paperwork to migraciones.
Thank you for the information. I'll follow through with that immediately as I know, even at my age, playing Russian Roulet with migrations is risky.

PS: Since you're married to an Argentine citizen you can apply for permanent residency (as opposed to the visa pensionado).

PS: Since you're married to an Argentine citizen you can apply for permanent residency (as opposed to the visa pensionado).
I try to update myself with migrations but the few times I went there is always just short of a circus (luckily I take an Argentine with me to cut through the tape. Last time, without an appointment, the line stretched all the way up the avenue...I left as that day the "information desk" was closed.

Hello Steveinbsas...Following up (finally) on your suggestions today I received a precaria after getting the certificate domicilio, penales antecedents and the Spanish issued letter from the US embassy (& had it certified at the office on Aranales near Retiro). The appointment was between 10-12 today and I got there at 10. A long line for the photo (the photo I had taken wasnt even used) then a long wait for the migrations staffer. Was asked why I'm in Argentina and whether I work (am retired). They also wanted to know my mother and father's name (though they've both been dead decades). Then I had to pay $6,000 pesos and will pay another $300 for the DNI.

Your guidance with the embassy was VERY helpful.

Today's process took about 3-1/2 hours though now I've the peace of mind that I can come and go to/from Argentina without being hassled. The migrations officer never asked for FBI report (probably because I've lived here almost exclusively for the past 7 years.

Once again, thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you for the information. I'll follow through with that immediately as I know, even at my age, playing Russian Roulet with migrations is risky.

Gone are the days that you can Do It Yourself.
Dr. Rubilar`s advice:
Under no circumstance you may approach DNM on your own alone, without legal counsel !

Gone are the days that you can Do It Yourself.
Dr. Rubilar`s advice:
Under no circumstance you may approach DNM on your own alone, without legal counsel !
Except for the time, the procedure was relatively simple (though had an Argentina friend accompany me). Had I tried this on my own, not being fluent in Spanish, the result might not have been as good.

Except for the time, the procedure was relatively simple (though had an Argentina friend accompany me). Had I tried this on my own, not being fluent in Spanish, the result might not have been as good.

From my layman experience I was totally green about all the stuff (Residency or Citizenship). I didn`t even know why you have to have it.
Let alone Spanish. My Spanish wasn`t any good then, as it is still now, …. hacking it to get by.
If I did it, anyone could have done it !!!!!
Those days … it was extremely easy !

P.S. I was lucky to cross roads with BAExpats at the time. Found a treasure source of info. Gem in the rough when everything was still mysterious.

Last edited:
From my layman experience I was totally green about all the stuff (Residency or Citizenship). I didn`t even know why you have to have it.
Let alone Spanish. My Spanish wasn`t any good then, as it is still now, …. hacking it to get by.
If I did it, anyone could have done it !!!!!
Those days … it was extremely easy !

P.S. I was lucky to cross roads with BAExpats at the time. Found a treasure source of info. Gem in the rough when everything was still mysterious.
I followed the residency route so as to avoid the (albeit remote) possibility of being denied entry to Argentina as I either return annually to the US for a VA medical checkup or did the 90 day expat shuffle to Uruguay to stay "legal". Some on this site say doing the expat shuffle negates a "stay" in Argentina but migrations had no problem with it.

Back