Immigration visa TO the U.S. for an Argentine?

sam3g

Registered
Hello,

I have finally convinced my Argentine girlfriend to move to the US with me. We have an interview scheduled in September at the US embassy for a tourist visa, with which we plan to visit my family in December. If she likes the idea, we will then apply for a work visa (I'm not ready to get married quite yet ;) ).

My question is this:
Are there any Argentines here that have personally dealt with an immigration (work) visa to the US?

I could possibly get the family business to find a reason to 'sponsor' my girlfriend (who is an abogada here). What are the chances? What are the difficulties? How much time does it take?

Muchas gracias!!!:rolleyes:

Assuming she gets the tourist visa go to an immigration attorney in the states when you get there that can layout the options.

An H1B visa is *very* difficult to get. It's not just a matter of a company "sponsoring" her. There are only a limited amount of visas issued per year (65,000). Employees working for non-profit research facilites and universities are exempt from that number.

There is very little chance she will be issued a work visa. Sorry - wish I had better news.

Your best bet is to have her come on a tourist visa to see if she likes it. If she does and she/you want to extend, you may look into her getting a visa to study.

Find an attorney, he/she will know how to file the case for best chances to get an H1B visa or other type. You probably can start doing this here so instead of a tourist visa, she gets a working visa. Don't know the times for filing and processing, but everything is possible.
Just because she has an attorney degree doesn't mean she is not capable to do other things, so that is not a limitation on itself.
If you need a referral for an Immigration attorney PM me.
Good luck!

As Citygirl says, an H1B is very hard to get, especially if you're not an engineer. Even if a company sponsors you, you then enter a lottery that some win and others lose.

My best guess is marriage is the only option here.

Another very common route is to enroll in a local university as a foreign estudent. It will cost you, though.
She will have to change the status from visitor to student. In time you could find other options for her, like wife, etc; but for a few years she will be protected from the INS.
She could also apply for a type of visa that allows to work part time during school recesses (cost extra money).
And, yes find a cheap immigration lawyer to do the paperwork, it work wonders there as it does here too.Good luck, Henry

Why would you prefer to deal with an impossible work visa or pay tons in tuition instead of marring the poor girl who is willing to follow you? Just get a divorce if things don't work out!

I´d like to know about how this has all worked out now as well? I´m content to stay here for the next two-ish years, but we´ve already started looking into Marriage visas. I´ve been told it´s easier if we get married there and then begin the paperwork rather than getting married in Argentina. Is this true?

Does anyone have experience with the Fiancee visa? I´ve also been told that I have to proove I can support myself and my "husband" at 125% over the poverty line. Does that mean I essentially have to go back before we get married to secure a job?

We´re looking a few years ahead but always better to be safe than sorry!

Back