Import Duties for Used Personal Items

glassjawed

Registered
I plan to move to Argentina from Brazil. Hopefully I can find someone to drive all of my furniture there. Would I have to pay any duties on personal items like used furniture, paintings, etc?

I will be coming in on a temporary tourist visa. I read that some sort of guarantee is required on the personal effects I am bringing in. Does anyone have more information on this?

steveinbsas said:
http://www.exportainer.com/import_requeriments_en.htm

With a tourist visa you will have to pay the import taxes when you bring your possession into the country. You won't have the option to provide a guarantee.

This subject has been discussed at length in other threads.

I think Steve is correct. I did do the guarantee thing but the wife who is from Peru was able to apply for permanent residency before we headed to Argentina if memory serves me correctly. Basically the guarantee was putting down 10% of the value of the goods. You get most of this back once you get your permanent residency. It was a bit of hassle but we where able to get through it.

Here's what the OP will face (from the link in post #3):

kolichka said:
Hello.

We are looking to move to Buenos Aires and would like to ship our personal items there. Today, the moving company came back with the following:

Pay 50% on FOC shipemnt value declared (If a long term working visa (for one year) is not available. Short term visa (3-6 month has to pay duty & tax).

If this is true, we may just sell our things or not ship them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

We are arriving in BA without sponsorship/jobs. Thus, the above is a concern.

Many thanks in advance for your response and/or suggestions.

You can try too (I can't guarantee your success) to reduce what you need to the minimum (5 to 6 cubic meters) and have it shipped to you as unaccompanied luggage. But in this case you need a "good" despachante. That's what I did in 2003 while coming as a turist and it worked.

Sorry for ignorance, what's a despachante?

what about used items like a playstation, projector, or laptops in my luggage on a flight?

Back