Import from Uruguay

IamWaldo

Registered
Hi,

I couldn't find a definite answer, so i thought let's ask it here.
I want to buy a PC from Uruguay and ship it to here, it's kind of a special thing.
Will it get stopped here at customs aswell?
I am wondering cause it's MERCOSUR

Thanks in advance,

What if you just put it in your carry on luggage with buquebus

Hi,

I couldn't find a definite answer, so i thought let's ask it here.
I want to buy a PC from Uruguay and ship it to here, it's kind of a special thing.
Will it get stopped here at customs aswell?
I am wondering cause it's MERCOSUR

Thanks in advance,
Mercosur is sorta like NAFTA/USMCA, the benefits are for companies, not individual consumers making purchases on Amazon USA from Canada or Walmart Mexico from the US.

You'd be subject to either the Puerta a Puerta scheme or the Small Shipments scheme. I've used the later to buy stuff from the US 3 times now without issue.

That being said, you have a $500 duty free allowance from Uruguay by river so it might be worth it to go there and buy it, especially because they likely won't say anything since you're a foreigner. You're allowed a phone/tablet/laptop since they're considered articles of personal use, but a desktop PC might be stretching it.

I had my desktop PC brought from the US via the small shipments scheme and since it was used I declared it's used retail value (taxes on PCs/parts are/were cheaper than most other things) by just writing a letter for the company saying "I Quilombo built this PC myself in the US, it's 1 year old and it's constituent parts have a retail value in the US of about $750." and just paid the tax which was surprisingly cheap.

Back