import taxes

AusAbroad

Registered
Hi,

I have ordered a kindle through Amazon, but need some help working out the import tax system. Today when DHL came to my house in BA to deliver it they said that I needed to pay US$197.00 in taxes, even though the item only cost $290.00. These seems like a very high tax rate ! does anybody know what the rate is and if there is any way to get around it.
Thanks

Usually, it is 50% the cost of the item. There might be storage fees in there as well. What was the breakdown?

definitely a lesson learnt ! amazon said they are happy to refund me, so not so bad.

The break down is fairly complicated:
IVA: US$82 (21%)
Desaduanaje (Taxes+Duties): US$57.14 (20%)
Handling: US$54.00
Total: $193

Is it normal to be charged IVA and then the customs tax as well ?

Yes, you are lucky that no storage fees are charged, however you still could have to pay them. If I remember correctly the storage fees were similar to a nightly hotel room, which makes me wonder where they were storing it.

Lee said:
There is no way around it.

Pay it and enjoy the item and think of that additional money as a lesson learned. Next time have someone visiting bring you electronics rather than ordering them and having them delivered.

I agree with Lee in this matter. Use it as a lesson learned when buying things in the future. You could have bought the same item on Mercado Libre for the price of the item plus taxes and you would not have had to screw around with DHL. Enjoy the Kindle though, it is nice to have a library in the palm of your hand.

Back