Important Notice Re Feb Book Club

Alicia karr

Registered
Hi readers! The BAexpat Book Club had an AMAZING evening and I want to thank everyone for the great food and conversations.
Due to accessibility difficulties for those that don't use electronic readers we now have an arrangement with a local book store to make available a limited number of our selections in paperback form. So for those of you who are traditional book readers you will now be able to access the books locally. Yay yay!
Our February selection is the Orange Prize winner of 2012/ "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller. The NYTimes says :"A remarkably fresh take on one of the most familiar narratives in western literature...extremely moving".
The meeting will be Wednessay February 26. From 7:00-10:30. Please bring a dish to pAss. Due to the limited space we have to restrict attendance. Please RSVP by sending a PM to me also letting me know what you would like to bring.
Please let me know if you need to order the book as well
If you can't make the February meeting below is the the March Pulitzer prize winning selection so you can begin reading. Again let me know if you need to order the book. A limited number will be available
"The Brief Wondrous World of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz.
Thanks for your interest. More info to follow Don't forget to RSVP. All forum members are welcome

Very exciting news since I do prefer old fashioned reading. Consider this my RSVP for February. Here's a picture of this month's book.

You are right, an amazing meeting. Nancy and I RSVP for Feb. I sent you a PM.

Tom

Great choice of book for the next meeting, The Song of Achilelles.

http://www.madelinem...ng-of-achilles/

SongAchilles-pb-c.jpg

The last meeting was a lot of fun, thanks to organiser and all who attended.
I will come to the next one and would like to buy the book as well please.
Not sure what food I will bring - can I give it some thought and inform you in due course?
Cheers, Sarah

The last meeting was a lot of fun, thanks to organiser and all who attended.
I will come to the next one and would like to buy the book as well please.
Not sure what food I will bring - can I give it some thought and inform you in due course?
Cheers, Sarah

Thanks SarahAnn, thoughtful and informative food is always welcome (haha!)
And other members, if you mentioned you'd be coming at the end of our last meeting, could you please follow up with a posting here along with what you'll be bringing?

FYI there are only TWO more copies of the book currently available for those that want the paperback.
Stay tuned for photos from the last meeting!

IMG_3204.jpgIMG_3205.jpg

From our last meeting--of course all remain anonymous! Can you guess who these forum members might be? I'm not telling!.... But come to our next meeting and find out for yourself! Wednesday February 26. 7:00pm "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller is our reading selection.There is one copy left in paperback. The format is: Informal meet and greet, followed by book discussion, followed by pot luck gluttony! If you're interested in attending please indicate so here, along with what you'd like to contribute to the pot luck and I'll PM you with directions. Space is limited so please RSVP as soon as possible. Again thanks to all the members that came (didn't have my wide angle lens attached to get everyone in the photo!) and contributed such great conversation, food and drink!

Here is more info on the February book club book selection and some photos from the last meeting! Please read this thread BACK to get all the info! If you'll be coming please CONFIRM by posting on this thread along with what you'll be bringing for the pot luck ..there is one paperback copy of the book still available if anyone needs it. Space is limited but all BAexpat members are welcome. RSVP is required to save your place. I'll PM you details when you post interest in attending on this thread.
Again, thanks to all 15 participants who shared their great food and opinions at our January meeting. And special thanks to Estebandeprague who shared his personal observations from his visit to North Korea.!
Togas are optional but bringing something for the pot luck is required! See you on Wednesday, February 26!

Hi to all
Thank you for having me come to the club; it had been a while since I though of my surrealistic trip to North Korea!
I'd like to attend the next one but I know due to my schedule I wont have time to read the book and I also will have a visitor from Prague who OBVIOUSLY will not have read the book either, although he speaks English.
I hope, if you have the chance, that youll follow me on my radio program every Monday at 1500-1600 called THE TYPICAL MISTAKE on Radio Palermo 94.7FM
It's the only radio program broadcast in English in Argentina. If you missed last week's program you can hear it by going to the show's archives and click on tourism transport, although it's really about transportation around the world.Sorry, no stories of blown up "love vans" in Pakistan(an inside story from last mont's book club meeting)
This week's topic will be Brasil In Buenos Aires so don't "ficar com saudade" about the show and tune in.
Chau
Esteban

Back