Imported Good Shops Practically Out of Business!!

dani28

Registered
A friend of mine from the States came into Bs As this past weekend, a shopaholic and label-whore, she wanted to check out Bs As ¨top¨ shopping. I had already advised her that here shopping in the sense of shopping in NYC or even in Europe is futile as everything is prohibitively, offensively overpriced and the seasons are things that in the States are already found in the outlets and TJ Maxx.

Nonetheless, we hit the boutiques at Patio Bullrich and Alvear, and what I saw was absolutely shocking. Most of these stores looked like they were in a state of liquidation, going out of business, and when asked about the blatant lack of merchandise, the sales personnel embarrassingly apologized and explained that the ¨K government¨ has issued a retention on all of their most recent shipments that have arrived into the country and there's no telling when they will allow them to recieve their new merchandise.

Louis Vuitton had a total of about 4 bags in the store. Tiffany's had a ring that was actually pretty affordable ($155 USD) but only had 1 left since they hadnt recieved any shipment since June.

The woman at Max Mara was desperate to sell my friend the only coat she had left in the store and told us that the company was probably going to be pulling out of the Bs As market as they were fed up with these ridiculous government restrictions, but that from a branding standpoint Max Mara like most of these names, wanted to maintain a presense in a city like Buenos Aires, but that at this point it was no longer worth it and did not have the caché it once had.

I know this sounds petty, and in these cases it probably will not affect many of us directly, but if this is happening to the imported boutiques, who earn their livelihoods (and the sales people earn their commissions) off of selling imported goods, it is a pretty accurate representation of many things to come in general.

damn, good thing im not a " shopaholic ".

As long as I can still get my Preggo and Newmans Own spaghetti sauce I think i'll be okay.

At this moment food imports are open. THANK GOD!

TheBlackHand said:
damn, good thing im not a " shopaholic ".

As long as I can still get my Preggo and Newmans Own spaghetti sauce I think i'll me okay.

That's a relief. I guess i'll have to do without my Louis Vuitton for the time being though :rolleyes:

optcsa said:
At this moment food imports are open. THANK GOD!

Glad this doesn't affect me.

But if they try to tamper with imported beer, I'm on the first flight back to the states.

Yes, as someone posted the other day, pretty much all incoming shipments of imported goods have been held up.

I work on Alvear and we're suffering since part of our wages are based on commissions. We have had a real problem getting our merchandise as well.

Apparently companies importing must export goods for the same value. At least in the industry sector, many tool or machinery importers end up exporting wine or some other non-related products.

Amargo said:
Apparently companies importing must export goods for the same value. At least in the industry sector, many tool or machinery importers end up exporting wine or some other non-related products.

I heard Honda is having to export wine...

Back