Importing A Car.

PhilipDT

Registered
Does anybody know how they asses duties? The car is old, never sold in Argentina and I have the bill of sale from when I purchased it (used).

Please don't reply telling me why I shouldn't do it.

Do It !!!

Seriously . The first US$15,000 is exempt from import duties. They use Kelly Blue Book average value. The add some for the freight. Values exceeding that are taxed at 85 %. Motorcycles are taxed at 85 % of used value. Car and / or moto must be registered and titled in your name 3 months prior to shipping. Not sure your DNI status , that has some bearing. i.e. temporary or permanent : If permanent , once car is here , to get tag etc,, is around US$1000.00 Check what any local insurance would be.

Do It !!!

Seriously . The first US$15,000 is exempt from import duties. They use Kelly Blue Book average value. The add some for the freight. Values exceeding that are taxed at 85 %. Motorcycles are taxed at 85 % of used value. Car and / or moto must be registered and titled in your name 3 months prior to shipping. Not sure your DNI status , that has some bearing. i.e. temporary or permanent : If permanent , once car is here , to get tag etc,, is around US$1000.00 Check what any local insurance would be.

I have temporary residency, would that mean I could not legalize and later sell it. KBB is under $15000 so would that leave me exempt from duties? Have you done this, could you recommend a broker?

I am not sure on Temp Res. I will ask my guy if he can help . PM me where car is coming from and year and model. With a DNi , you can bring in 2 containers within 6 months of DNI's issue. The car gets nationalized . and you cannot sell it for 2 years. With a temporary import , the car can stay for 6 months , then be extended 6 months. Then the car must leave the country , and then reenter. repeat every 6 months. Non Argentine plates can be an issue , as well as insurance.

I am in the middle of doing this , therefore I am very sure my info is current.

Best regards

Do It !!!

Just a quick question, please....
Im thinking of moving to BA next year. My question is how up-to-date is your information now (August 14th, 2014)? Can I bring in my used Toyota Prius valued at $14000 approximately according KBB.
Thank you for your help. I've asked 10 different people and get 10 different answers! LOL!

We asked about this at the Argentinian consulate of Milan, Italy.
They said either look at the Italian's equivalent of the KBB, called QuattroRuote, or bring a quote from a car dealer stating the market value of the car.

They also said that $15.000 is the limit for [car value + shipping], so considering that the car has to be shipped in a container, we should estimate shipping is $1500 at minimum (but you can stuff up your car with personal belongings and you can bring other stuff within the container). This means the car value is up to $8500 (around €6300 as of today).
Unfortunately our car has a value of €9000 if sold through a reseller and of €11.000 if sold directly to privates, so we are way over the $15.000 limit.

It has to be shipped with a empty fuel tank and disconnected battery.
All in all, I believe it is not worth it: $1500 of shipping + $1000 to register it again here makes for a cheap used car in Argentina.
Also, I believe our 2-years old BWM is too flashy for this country and I don't want to be in the spotlight, I am afraid of robberies and thefts.

I miss my car, though.

Back