Importing a Mini Cooper

nledec

Registered
Has anyone had any experience importing a Mini Cooper to Argentina?
Have you had trouble getting it through the red tape and out of the port official's hands?

There are so many variables that it's difficult to answer this question. Are you a resident? Do you have a DNI? Are you getting temporary residency? Do you want to import it permanently or temporarily or just stay on a tourist visa? Is it new or used? etc...

I was going to import my mini cooper when we came in October, but in the end we decide against it. There were several factors that made us take this decision. If you want more information, it's probably easier to talk about it than for me to write it here.

It certainly CAN be done, but for us, in our situation, it just didn't make sense.

My husband and I had planned on shipping a car, new Rav4, when we moved here...luckily we found out, last minute the rules had changed, as they always do here! It would have cost us a fortune to do so ...would have been taxed at least 80% of the value of the car, and that was Argentine value!! Could have bought another car for that! And if we hadn't been able to pay,then we would have had to pay for it to be shipped back to the states!

He is Argentine, has a DNI, so it is just NOT worth the hassle. Plus driving here is the worse! They just don't know how to drive and become different people behind the wheel! Just once I would like to be able to get from point A to point B and not have issues with the idiot drivers on the road!

Stanexpat is 100% right ...DON'T do it!

EvergreenGal said:
My husband and I had planned on shipping a car, new Rav4, when we moved here...luckily we found out, last minute the rules had changed, as they always do here! It would have cost us a fortune to do so ...would have been taxed at least 80% of the value of the car, and that was Argentine value!! Could have bought another car for that! And if we hadn't been able to pay,then we would have had to pay for it to be shipped back to the states!

He is Argentine, has a DNI, so it is just NOT worth the hassle. Plus driving here is the worse! They just don't know how to drive and become different people behind the wheel! Just once I would like to be able to get from point A to point B and not have issues with the idiot drivers on the road!

Stanexpat is 100% right ...DON'T do it!

This was our problem too. The value imposed by the agency here was more than double the "real" value of the car. The Mini sells here for more than double what it costs in Europe. And the used value was more than double what I sold the car for, making the idea of paying the 80% tax a bit outrageous.

BUT, if you are coming temporarily, either on a tourist visa or on a fixed duration contract, and the car is not registered in Argentina then you MAY have a better chance with the whole thing & you will get the tax back when you export the car. In this case, locals and permanent residents are at a disadvantage.

HOWEVER, running around on a foreign registered Mini Cooper is not a good idea. They stand out making you a potential target for vandalism and potential other targeted crimes, but also it will get beat to hell in the potholes & dinged & danged by other drivers. To be honest, this was the biggest hindrance to my bringing my baby*... I mean my mini with me! :) I didn't want to see her get all beat up.

So, without knowing all the specifics of your situation, I would also still agree DON'T DO IT!

*(I guess you know where my user name comes from now!)

Both New generation (BMW) and original (BMC) mini's are available in Buenos Aires, already imported.

So why go thru the hassle of importing one?

Of course, the new ones are more expensive than they are in other countries, but still a lot cheaper than importing one.

The old ones are not too expensive, especially compared to the USA, where a restored 60's model can easily run $10,000 to $15,000 dollars- thats $30k to $50k in pesos.

One of the great things about Argentina is the large quantity of older cute small cars that are still available used- classic fiats, renaults, minis, and many more, usually in pretty good shape, that are virtually nonexistent in North America.
I just saw a gorgeous Fiat 2300 coupe the other day, obviously a daily driver, parked on the street in Palermo.
In Australia or Europe, these things go for big bucks these days- I am sure they are cheaper here.

Ries said:
Both New generation (BMW) and original (BMC) mini's are available in Buenos Aires, already imported.

So why go thru the hassle of importing one?

In sure, because it was already paid for & I can't afford a new one here.

Ries said:
. . . . One of the great things about Argentina is the large quantity of older cute small cars that are still available used- classic fiats, renaults, minis, and many more, usually in pretty good shape, that are virtually nonexistent in North America. . . .
I still vividly remember seeing, probably late in 1996, a beautiful gray Packard on Saenz Peña, just parked casually yet with an immaculate exterior (I hadn't the gall to peek inside). I don't think I've ever seen a Packard "daily driver" in the States, though the car was made there.

Back