Importing Electronic Items Through The Mail

Adios_USA

Registered
I am considering the purchase of 40 water quality testers from China for resale here in Argentina. I will have them shipped via DHL to my home address here in Capital Federal. I understand I will need to pay 50% of the value of the goods plus 50% of the shipping fees to the Aduana. The Chinese shippers tell me I need to be certain I have permission to import these items. Aside from paying the fees, is there an actual permit I need or can I just pay for them and then pay the import fees when I receive them?

Thanks for your help!

I am considering the purchase of 40 water quality testers from China for resale here in Argentina. I will have them shipped via DHL to my home address here in Capital Federal. I understand I will need to pay 50% of the value of the goods plus 50% of the shipping fees to the Aduana. The Chinese shippers tell me I need to be certain I have permission to import these items. Aside from paying the fees, is there an actual permit I need or can I just pay for them and then pay the import fees when I receive them?

Thanks for your help!

You should probably just write them off as a total loss.

Can you elaborate on what you mean as a total loss? I have never lost a single item in the mail with insurance, a tracking number and purchase value assigned to the goods.

The import business is not in its best moment in Argentina.. to say the least. :p

I believe you do need official permission to import, and that's not something they're giving out these days.

Have you spoken to a "despachante de aduana"? - They are basically import agents who you need to arrange the import of the goods with. They would need to look up the tax code for the goods you want to inform (actually each component will have a tax code) , they will give you the correct amount of tax.

You would need a DNI / CUIL to import legally, i.e. to set yourself up as a new importer. You'd be straight into the "red" channel, i.e. every import that comes through would have a paper and physical inspection. The physical inpection means that your goods go straight to a "fiscal warehouse" This is a privately owned inspection point, you have to pay per day the amount of fees incurred for the stay of your goods. In practice, you have to grease someone's palm to get your shipment though otherwise it'll sit there and suck up daily fees in the warehouse. As a new importer you'll ber defenceless against that regime! I met someone a few years ago bringing clothes in from china who explained they had to go down with a large flatscreen tv to get things moving! I met with a despachante last year and they told me to factor bribes into my budget.

If you haven't already you need to talk to a despachante de aduana (not the govt body, private import agents). I was lucky to have a family connection that allowed me to have a series of chats off the clock, but the end result was that importing some small items from China was not going to be cost effective.

Sidenote, importing from a Mercosur country can be more cost effective if the price is convenient, trade off paying in reales/USD to Brasil for a less stringent customs routine and land shipping over the border.

So, you need to be legal, registered and prepared to pay a bribe on top of the taxes. If you can then make money on top of that you have done well ! My understanding is that your goods will get stopped and inspected, if you are not legal, it's possible you won't see them.

DHL has its own despachante service if I'm right & they'll charge you also for that.

You could have done so 2 or 3 years ago, now, forget it

Since I receive mail with personal goods of value via postal mail, am I not already registered as an importer under the new rules?

Since I receive mail with personal goods of value via postal mail, am I not already registered as an importer under the new rules?

No. In my understanding, to register as an importer you have to go through a specific procedure (and be registered as a business here I guess) but expats here importing electronics will know better.

There's a thread talking about all the horror stories importing things here, worth reading it.

No. In my understanding, to register as an importer you have to go through a specific procedure (and be registered as a business here I guess) but expats here importing electronics will know better.

There's a thread talking about all the horror stories importing things here, worth reading it.

Frenchie, you have clinched the "best new avatar" award.

Thanks for your help!
Have you imported other items into Argentina recently? You might consider importing just one to see if you can get it through.

Does Argentina manufacture water testers? Does anyone know if their is a similar product manufactured here does this enter into Aduana's decisions? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Back