Importing your used personal belongings to Argentina

expatfromfaraway

Registered
Hi all
New to the forum.
I'm wanting to know the process, possible duties, taxes etc for importing my personal belongings into argentina.
Do they apply chargers on the value of goods, taxes, vat, customs duties.
In general it'll be clothes, toys, two professional kids go karts, some furniture. All is used and I want to have a clear understanding of the process and costs that might be imposed on these items before actually sending them. I dont fancy a big nasty surprise
Regards

I would never again ship anything. This is Argentina and everything is a big nasty surprise. Whatever the cost to ship it here via ocean freight plan on doubling that cost to get it through. Take extra suitcases for small things and I would forget the go carts and furniture. I would live here awhile before bringing anything. These are just my experiences good luck

Are you already in Argentina?

Do you have temporary residency and a DNI?

You have six months from the date you enter(ed) to "import" your personal belongs without paying customs duties/fees.

If you "send" your stuff and it arrives before you have the DNI, you will not be able to get them out of customs until you actually have one...

,,,and storage fees wil be charged by the day.

Here's one example of what happens if you miss the window of opportunity:

If I understand correctly, if you enter with temporay residency, you will have to post a bond which you will lose if you do not renew your temporary residency and leave without taking your stuff with you...

....and if you leave after your temporaty resdency expires, you may not be able to ship your stuff out of the country because you don't have a DNI.

If and when you change the category from temporary residency to permanent, you will be able to keep your stuff in Argentina and no longer need the bond.

Here is additional information:

PS: You will need to use a customs broker, especially if you don't want to get hosed by the aduana and hung out to dry, if not put away wet. 🤠

Last edited:
Hi all
New to the forum.
I'm wanting to know the process, possible duties, taxes etc for importing my personal belongings into argentina.
Do they apply chargers on the value of goods, taxes, vat, customs duties.
In general it'll be clothes, toys, two professional kids go karts, some furniture. All is used and I want to have a clear understanding of the process and costs that might be imposed on these items before actually sending them. I dont fancy a big nasty surprise
Regards
I can get you in touch with a dear friend that owns a shipping company. He has worked with several forum members. He will be able to give you his best advice on what to do. An intl moving is not your best bet in some cases.

Are you already in Argentina?

Do you have temporary residency and a DNI?

You have six months from the date you enter(ed) to "import" your personal belongs without paying customs duties/fees.

If you "send" your stuff and it arrives before you have the DNI, you will not be able to get them out of customs until you actually have one...

,,,and storage fees wil be charged by the day.

Here's one example of what happens if you miss the window of opportunity:

If I understand correctly, if you enter with temporay residency, you will have to post a bond which you will lose if you do not renew your temporary residency and leave without taking your stuff with you...

....and if you leave after your temporaty resdency expires, you may not be able to ship your stuff out of the country because you don't have a DNI.

If and when you change the category from temporary residency to permanent, you will be able to keep your stuff in Argentina and no longer need the bond.

Here is additional information:

PS: You will need to use a customs broker, especially if you don't want to get hosed by the aduana and hung out to dry, if not put away wet. 🤠
This is great feedback, much appreciated.

I'm currently here as tourist, I will exit soon and then return and start official employment with an Argentina company etc

I plan to import my family belongings once I have all my official documents in place and correct.

So I assume the clock (6 months) will start clicking once I re enter on my second more permanent visa as a temporary residency/work visa and the DNI is issued.

I'm currently here as tourist, I will exit soon and then return and start official employment with an Argentina company etc

I plan to import my family belongings once I have all my official documents in place and correct.

So I assume the clock (6 months) will start clicking once I re enter on my second more permanent visa as a temporary residency/work visa and the DNI is issued.
Given your response perhaps another question I should ask is I have a SUV (used) that I would love to import too ... but I've read that the duties seem to kill this opportunity. Is this true ?

You will find more details here:

I suggest you never assume anything when it comes to immigration and customs in Argentina. 🤠

I suggest you never assume anything when it comes to immigration and customs in Argentina. 🤠
In this case your assumption is probably correct.

The customs broker should be able to clarify. 🤠

If your future employer has a quota to employ foreigners, then also may be allowed to import their belongings. ?

Back