In Chile, Wal-Mart Adapts To Local Tastes To Reach The Top.

Noesdeayer

Registered
In another thread ,"It's too expensive here" I asked if Wal-Mart was the way to go to slow down or break Argentina's inflationary cycle.In today's,June 1,NYTimes in the Latin America Section this article appeared. It's quite illustrative and a very interesting review both from the business and socio-economic points of view.If you 're interested give it a read and leave your comment

LINK LINK LINK LINK :eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/06/01/world/americas/ap-us-wal-mart-doing-well-in-chile.html

Consumer-focused business responds to consumer preferences. Stop the madness! But seriously, only in Argentina and Venezuela does this seem extraordinary.

Rich One : Thanks for the help.
joeschmoe1920: Exactly, a totally consumer oriented policy I like the way they jockey for position in a "slowing economy" and how they work to get their suppliers on board with the "low prices every day" pledge.There is a whole lot to take away from this article which is an AP The Big Story.
wineguy999: I agree it is different from their US model because the Chilean management gives it a markedly local orientation.As the article states after their abject failure in Germany and their unclear dealings in Mexico,they can use their Chile model as a new template.

It should be noted though that the reason Walmart failed in Germany was not the lack of bread... Walmart just didn't offer anything significantly different from the existing supermarkets and was more expensive. They just came into a saturated market they didn't understand and hoped it will work out - until they realized their huge loss and left.

thorsten:
True.But I believe that opening on the weekends especially on Sunday was a key factor.The German unions refused to accept it..

Back