In Defense Of Buenos Aires Taxi Drivers

glasgowjohn

Registered
We have read many posts of rip offs in the past and I am sure they are all true.

My experience is somewhat different. I engage the guys in conversation and we talk about everything from football to politics and sometimes the fairer sex. I have never been screwed by the guys and only once in five years have I been taken twice round the block……

But on Xmas eve my belief in the good heartedness of Ba’s taxi drivers was further strengthened.

My wife left her Blackberry in the car we took to my boy ‘s godparent house where we were holding the family meal.

She didn’t realize it was lost for two days.

In fact she didn’t realize it was lost until the taxi driver texted my phone saying he had the phone in his possession.

He brought it round to day and refused to take a tip for bringing it round and refused to take money for gas.

Christmas spirit is alive and well.

Great story to restore our faith in fellow human beings - even cab drivers.

For me I like the Bs As taxi driver's stoic sense of humour and also when in a cab with a group of Portenos talking politics it is the taxi driver who often is the voice of mediation and reason. Not like Black Cab drivers in London who are stereotypically the most opinionated ranting bigots around! Apart from talking football then the balance of insight and lunacy corresponds.

BA taxi drivers and taxi drivers in other parts of Latin America have been good to me - although I have friends who have had problems. Taxi drivers in SE Asia by comparison are a nightmare... Every ride requires a tiresome negotiation...

The problems with taxi drivers are at "paradas" (taxi stops) where they are waiting for clients/victims. If you avoid paradas de taxis, there shouldn t be issues.
Regards

Back