In Need Of Maternity Pants

Vagrant Violet

Registered
Hi, everyone! My Argentine husband and I are expecting our first in mid-April (we just found out that it will be a little boy!). So far, everything has gone fairly smoothly. In terms of clothes, however, I am barely getting by, but even by now I can't wear my regular jeans and some other go-to basics anymore. Before this gets too out of hand, does anyone know of a place where I could buy a couple of pairs of basic maternity pants? Preferably as close to Nunez/Belgrano as possible. I'm traveling for a bit in January back to Ohio, but I'm NOT going to make it until then! I work in a school full time (so I need to be practical/comfortable) but where I also need a relatively professional look.

Considering that these will be clothes that I'll only be using for a very limited time, and considering how absurdly expensive everything is here to begin with, I cringe at thinking how much just two pairs of pants (and maybe a decent shirt) could set me back. Two weeks ago, I went to Planeta BB with my husband just to get an idea of what we will eventually need... The prices scared and disayed me (for necessities such as a basic-model stroller! They were all so expensive, but I wouldn't even trust them to carry my cat, let alone my firstborn, they look so poorly made!). I left convinced that I have no other option but to just carry this baby in my arms 24/7 until he is ready for kindergarten!!! We'll see...

Anyways, snother complication is that in the US, I am a relatively average sized-woman (157cm/5'2" and about a US size 14), but I carry it well. Not suprisingly, my size doesn't even exist here pre-pregnancy! I refuse to wear a fugly muu-muu!!! Any recommendations, at least for now until I can buy a few "real" pieces of maternity clothes? Muchas gracias a todos! :)

Congratulations! I bought some great jeans and black pants at http://www.disenourbano.com.ar/ last year. They have an outlet store in Belgrano where prices are convenient. Hope it works for you.

Diseno Urbano has really nice things -- but expensive -- take advantage of the outlet store, which I think also has weekly deals on Sundays. Otherwise there is MAA (check online, I think their outlet store is on Scalabrini Ortiz about Cabrera -- if that's not their outlet, it's another outlet maternity store). DisenoUrbano also has great tops for breastfeeding. When you go home, if you're thinking to breastfeed, DEFINITELY pick up some bras at Motherhood -- the bras here are horrible. Congrats!

More thoughts:

Definitely buy a stroller in the States, it's absurd here. United ruined our bonnet and we didn't notice until after too late to file complaint (you have to do within 3 or 4 hours of landing) -- I looked for a replacement here and just a dinky umbrella style one is 1400 pesos -- you can pick up strollers for less than 100 bucks at Target. At first you're at the doctor so often that if you can one where the infant car seat fits in then do it.

If you don't have a car, you can kind of forego the infant seat if you're willing to take the risk of just carrying the baby in a baby bjorn in the cab. Also, get the baby bjorn at home -- they are between 90 and 120 USD in North America, and about 1800-2200 pesos here -- no joke.

We also had ours sleep about the first year in a Pack'n'Play -- picked it up for 120USD at Target, here the same model (at the time, and now it's probably more) was 1600 pesos. Basically use January to bring back as much as you can -- and even if you end up having to pay extra baggage it will usually end up working out a lot less. You should be able to bring back a stroller no problem. A pack'n'play you may have to pay extra for to take on plane. Look at crib options here before you go so you can decide what to do about it.

Also buy LOTS of onesies at home -- a single one here costs about the price of 3 back there. You can get the packs of 4 Gerber ones etc at Target. Do some comparison shopping online. Also buy bottles back there -- there's usually gift packs that come with about 4 -- again 1 bottle here costs about the same as 2-3 there.

If you think you're going to pump, buy one there. The pump is a sucky decision to make, because it's a big investment and you don't even know if it's going to work for you until you have the baby. I ended up getting my mum to bring one down for me when she visited, if you have someone coming down at some point after birth you might want to delay that purchase until then.

Anyway, as you can see, I went through all of this relatively recently (about the same time as Nikad! -- how old is yours now?). If you have any questions, drop me a line. Also you should join the Mummies group on Fbook -- look for Buenos Aires Mummies I think it is. They are also doing a swap meet/ sale at beginning of December where people will sell their baby goods, so you will probably be able to pick up some outfits for cheap.

My last piece of advice -- really enjoy the time leading up to baby. And when baby comes, don't stop socializing! I think we went out more in the first month than we have ever since. The older they get the harder it is to go out, so in those first few months really enjoy being able to go out -- at that point (depending on baby), you can still even go out to a fancy restaurant, close the hood on the stroller and they will just sleep right through dinner. The more mobile they get, the less easy it is to go anywhere without it becoming difficult. Ahh, those were the days, when the baby would sleep through any noises and you could have dinner tranquilo. You don't realise how easy it was until after that phase is over and you're scrambling to try and down a hot cup of coffee before they knock it over, attempting to spoon some calabaza into their mouth, and still carry on a conversation with your friend while you're absolutely drenched in sweat....

I'd try to get by with one or two dresses coupled and then go on a shopping spree in the US. Clothes both for you and baby, as much of the equipment as possible: stroller, car seat, crib, bottles, ... start writing the list. With the price difference even paying excess luggage fees makes sense. And you can always leave some stuff behind to be brought down by visiting grandparents, aunts, friends, etc. when the baby's born.

Anyway, as you can see, I went through all of this relatively recently (about the same time as Nikad! -- how old is yours now?).
Almost 14 months old Syngirl and yours?

In the US everything is 1/3 or even less of the local prices. And I mean everything baby related. I read a while ago that some moms to be ( Argentine ) were actually making trips to buy all the stuff up there.

With the temps coming up I would suggest either leggings and long smart tunic shirts or dresses. I have been through 3 summers here while pregnant, and you will feel much hotter than normal so light clothing all the way! And congrats on the pregnancy! :)

Thank you all for your AWESOME responses! This entire pregnancy thus far has been one major surprise after another! I am especially thankful to Syngirl for her very detailed and thoughtful response!...

As I mentioned, I'm traveling to Ohio for about 3 weeks in January. Obviously I'll be spending some super-quality time with my mom (and eating Taco Bell... my God, since the nausea subsided, I would pay a king's ransom for a Gordita or 7-Layer Burrito or Taco Pizza... any and all of their fine delicacies! *Drool*...). My best friend since 7th grade is also still in Ohio and sweetly wants to throw me a baby shower. It's kind of a tightrope, because there are soooooo many essentials that I will need sooner or later, but physically getting them here might be impractical or impossible. I'm thinking about just passing around a good old-fashioned donation basket (with US dollars!). But perhaps some of the lighter/smaller items (such as the baby bjorn) I could reasonably bring back. I guess I'll have to prioritize.

Another potential idea is that my mom will come in mid/late April when the baby is born, which is another invaluable opportunity. She's in good health, but she's almost 62 years old, so I would have to consider that as well. My husband and I don't have a car, so a stroller is a must. Once I book my flight, I might have to call to see any restrictions on bringing that with one of us. But seriously... 4,500+ pesos for a stroller that even on display looks like it could fall apart and collapse at any moment? I think not! Yeeeesh!

As I mentioned, I thank you ladies all so much for your advice! Considering the unique circumstances, there are so many important ideas to keep in mind that cannot be found in any baby book (at least none of the 1,000+ that I've downloaded so far from Amazon!). If any of you would like to hang out one day, please send me an IM! Sometimes it's hard when I feel like I'm "doing this alone" and I don't have any female friends my age here or abroad in the same boat. I also have a LOT to learn!

Un abrazo grande de "nosotros"! ;)

Back