Indian - Thai food

Bali Fog

Registered
Hi
Can anybody recommend any good Thai / Indian food restaurant in Bs As?

Thanks in advance!

I guess not ; )

I stumbled across an Indian shop on Ciudad de la Paz (looking for an escape from the rain) today which had a variety of spices for Indian cooking inclyding dried chillis and a garam masala mix.

There's a few thai places in downtown. Gibraltar in San Telmo does a decent enough green thai curry too.
Indian wise, i've been disappointed with the majority of them. They are like the Mexican places here where everything is made pretty bland and non-spicy.

Barrio Chino has Thai curry paste bags which only require the meat, veg and coconut milk to be added for a traditional tasting Thai curry.

Indian; I'd recommend YouTube and seeing how to do your own - it isn't difficult but I've not found any restaurants which are anywhere near as spicy or as rich as they should be.

Be thankful though, wine and beef in either of those countries is as rare as teeth in a chicken. So it's not all bad by any stretch!

You should look on Guia Oleo; you can search by category. Go to Busqueda Avanzada below the search box. Scroll to Tipos de cocina. Thai will be in the sudeste asiático section and Indian is called Hindu. You can read the reviews, but note that they will be mostly Argentine people who tend to have a different perception of these cuisines and what makes them good. I really like the Hari Krishna restaurant in Colegiales (Jorge Newbery y Ciudad de la Paz) for Indian but nothing is quite like you would expect. Still their chutney is pretty decent.

I miss good Thai food so much, I lived in Thailand for years before I came to BsAs. Barrio Chino has almost everything we need to make Thai food, so I suggest you to try making by yourself.

These are what you can find in Barrio chino and makes your dish very THAI.

- curries: you can buy curry paste imported from Thailand in Chinos in Barrio Chino. Red, green and yellow.
- Fish sause: this is what you really need for Thai food. This makes everything tasty and smells very THAI! One bottle of fish sause is about 25-30 pesos now. Thai food doesn't use salt, but use fish sause or some other pastes for the salty taste.
- Chilli : Also you can find in Barrio Chino, fresh chili is a lot better than dried stuff. chop them and mix with fish sause!
- Lima : It's sometimes difficult to find Lima in verdurerias en BsAs, they have limon but not lima. Barrio chino has Lima.
- Chinese celery : You can find in Barrio Chino. It's thinner than normal celery but more aroma. Rico!
- fresh lemon grass : smells very good. Chop it and mix with anything you like.

- Sugar : you can buy anywhere in the world. Sugar is one of the important ingredientes of Thai food.

Chop anything you like (vegetables, meat or seafood), mix with fish sause, lima juice, sugar and chopped chili, then it's a YAM plate. Very easy and very Thai!

good luck!

You can also try Cocina Sunae,a closed-door restaurant that serves really good southeast Asian food. I miss the lack of spicy food as well, and at Cocina Sunae they can make the food spicy(tell them you want spicy, NOT argentine spicy, and she makes it for you). The only drawback is you need to make a reservation in advance and it opens only from Thursday to Saturday.

For Indian, Tandoor on Laprida and Charcas(near Alto Palermo shopping center) was pretty good.

As Satoko suggested, Barrio Chino has a lot of ingredients to make decent thai food on your own.

Suelte!!

Can you be more specific as to where in Ciudad de La Paz is that shop located??
Thanks in advance

Back