Insane Dog Barking

Porteños are used to insane noise levels - in fact, many don't even notice loud radios or barking dogs.

They can carry out one-to-one conversations in a room full of screaming people of all ages, or across a restaurant table seating twenty four. They seem to be able to block off everyone else but the person they are talking to.

They can also sleep peacefully in apartments on streets full of colectivos and cars accelerating wildly or blowing their horns.

Wish I had their noise-tolerance threshold.

SaraSara said:
Porteños are used to insane noise levels - in fact, many don't even notice loud radios or barking dogs.

They can also sleep peacefully in apartments on streets full of colectivos and cars accelerating wildly or blowing their horns.

Wish I had their noise-tolerance threshold.

I wish I had these kinds of neighbors. Mine complain if I have a couple of people over for dinner and we're talking in normal voices after 11pm. Could partially be the neighborhood? :(

ETA: I've had the barking dog problem. We even tried to talk to the owner, write a pleading letter, and even bribe the owner to get his dog to stfu. It didn't work. My effective solution was to move, sadly! Good luck.

Or earplugs !!! I actully have some Argentine firneds who live on a noisy street (collectivos etc, rather than loed neighbours), and they sleep with earplugs every night - Glad I live in the quiet Province.

I´ll make a long story short: when my husband moved down here, my dog ( a Cocker Spaniel ) was 11 months old or so. He was a saint at home, some months after his arrival, we learned that everytime we would go out to show him around, etc the dog went crazy, cried, barked, howled, etc non stop until he heard us coming back... we never even suspected this was going on, until one day after buying some Easter eggs, we found a big Civil Defense truck downstairs and around 9 of the building´s neighbors who were not just mad at all the noise he would make, but also concerned because they thought we were being cruel to the poor puppy... it was SOOOO embarrassing !!! After that, every time we would go anywhere, we had to ask ( and pay ) the building´s super son to dog sit the crazy puppy, lol. A year after that, he got used to us coming and going and behave like a good doggie ever since :)

Liam3494 said:
Or earplugs !!! I actully have some Argentine firneds who live on a noisy street (collectivos etc, rather than loed neighbours), and they sleep with earplugs every night - Glad I live in the quiet Province.

This only works for certain noises! Unfortunately, dogs barking penetrate even the best earplugs. I got used to sleeping with earplugs and a noise machine here (I import Hearos from the States in bulk) but still am occasionally woken by barking dogs left to their own devices, hammering, etc. Oh well.

LAtoBA said:
Lucas, is there a moment when you're ever introspective or the least bit critical of your culture and society?

I don't see how all that could be a key to peace......it's more like a key to misery, dysfunction, and hell.

hahaha read Sara's post she got it right, I know very well what do you mean and I did have plenty experience on this I used to live on a first floor on a very busy street exposed to loud noise of traffic and buses literally they were 'on' my bedroom window I can assure you I did sleep like a baby, that was then, nowadays is a subtle leaf of a tree hit the floor I will jump out of the bed it's a question of adaptation to the environment, Bs.As always was like it's now.....outrageous noisy, adapt or perish hahaha...sorry

sergio said:
How many neighbors must be affected by the horrible barking? Dozens, hundreds? And they either do NOTHING (my guess) or a few complain and NOTHING happens. It's amazing how much Argentines will put up with! There is a terrace close to my apt. which is used occasionally by loud, rude and drunken Recoleta kids. They often start their parties at 2 or 3 in the morning and go on all night. Hundreds, if not a couple of thousand people, have to be affected by the shouting and the blasting rock music but the parties keep going on. Sadly few Porteños simply care about their neighbors. I have never experienced such a discordant society anywhere else.

This is what surprised me too...I was thinking for many days, can I be the only one who is bothered by this? Yet no one else complained...and it isn't like the dog was barking a few times a day...it was constant, and hysterical and loud. Thankfully after I yelled at the woman across the buildings she shut her dog up, or at least keeps it inside now.

People can become immune to the loudest noises. We once lived in a house next door to a fire station - the first few nights we fell off the bed every time the fire trucks left on a call, sirens blaring. After a week or so, we did not even hear them.

Yet we would wake up if a raccoon knocked the lid of the trashcan. Funny, how one filters noises.

LETTING YOUR DOGS BARK IS UNACCEPTABLE.

I created an account just to comment on this thread, because I've been here for six weeks so far, and the constant noise of one of the neighborhood dogs barking is driving me to insane. It is absolutely unacceptable to let your dogs bark for no reason like this. The other poster, 'Lucas', is an a$$hole. Like one sane poster said, "your rights end where mine begin". Why should I be forced to listen to YOUR dogs bark? I wear earplugs, but the barking is so loud and ear-piercing, I can hear it through right through them. I have to literally wear earplugs AND over-ear headphones with nature sounds playing to drown it out. Much like the insane traffic intersections with no control, it is another sign of a total lack of civility and respect that people here have for one another, much like how people just let their dogs crap on the sidewalks without picking it up. Basically, people here don't give a rat's ass about anyone but themselves. I've met nice people here, sure, but fundamentally, if they don't know you, they don't care how their actions impact you.

I love dogs, and I have one of my own, and from the time he was little, I trained him NOT to bark unless there is a good reason (like, something in the yard, or, someone at the door).

If you let your dogs bark uncontrollably, and one day you find that someone has poisoned it, don't be surprised. At some point, your dogs may literally drive someone crazy.

I had this problem with a neighbor, my wife went and talked to him. He basically disrespected her so she came back mad. That was it! I went over there and told him off for disrespecting my wife. Then I told him that the dog barking is going to be controlled one way or another. But him dissing my wife set me off big time so my disposition was more or less hostile. I did not threaten or insult him but it was obvious I was not going to tolerate any crap. Been a year now no more dog problems.

Funny thing the neighbors had tried to talk to him also and no one got results. So it was like a joking point for some time around here. The pissed gringo shut the barking down.

In reality, I felt sorry for the dogs he has around five of them. And would leave them all outside all day long in a tiny space. No way to treat animals if you ask me.

But as has been mentioned in this thread. There is definitely a noise issue in Argentina. It seems many do not understand how disrespectful noise and loud music can be relating to people living around them. Common courtesy seems to have not taken root here is many ways.

Back