Insurance sales and marketing.

Mano Negra

Registered
I have recently uncovered an opportunity in the insurance market here that I think will lead to a good sustainable business and a range of product sale opportunities both within the insurance industry and private banking. I am progressing with a local partner which is one of the most established and innovative companies in BA and also appears to be managed by very pleasant and very efficient people. They are decisive (unlike many here) and took just a few days between agreeing the initial proposal and organising the meetings with leading underwriters to see if we can design the products I am proposing. We are now progressing with a more detailed risk assessment with the preferred underwriter, and I am getting to the stage where I believe there is a decent chance of it working and starting to think about recruitment. While it is a niche market that I will be targeting it is a high value and rapidly expanding niche.

Therefore I would like to hear from people with the following characteristics;

Bilingual Spanish English (less important if your English is not great, mine is getting worse)
Intending to live here, this is not a short term gig, it is about building relationships.
Knowledge of Financial Services / Insurance / Sales and Marketing.
Not afraid to get on the phone, be innovative, be aggresive (we should have a product that merits being very direct).
Not afraid of working for a start up, which may mean long hours to start with (I am not looking for clock watchers, but there will always be a drink or dinner at the end of a long day).
I am intending to pay a living basic ( probably 4000 pesos a month) plus decent commissions, which should make total pay 2 to 4 times the basic.
Really, I am looking for people who like the challenge of working in a start up business, in a small team that has the potential to dominate its market. If it all comes together as I hope, we will have a quality back office infrastructure, a major global brand backing us, pleasant offices to use when needed and the ability to make substantial returns. What's more, insurance is an inflation proofed business as it works on a percentage of asset price. If assets go up, so does premium and hence your commission. The only sure fire way of keeping up with the cost of living in Argentina.

One caveat. The product I am proposing will work on one basis only, price! I currently do not have final agreement from the underwriters to write the products, so I don't want to lead anyone astray by intimating that the opportunity is cast in stone. However, if this kind of opportunity appeals to you, I am confident enough to say it is worth starting to talk now with a view to getting started in the New Year.

Drop me a PM with your details if you are interested. Having started a lot of companies in a variety of sectors, I know that it is difficult to over-define the qualities of start up staff. If you like the sound of it, are ultra confident, able to talk to high level executives and patient enough to build quality relationships, this may be for you.

Miles

Interesting, not one reply. Teaching English must be more lucrative than I thought???

Hi Miles,

Sounds interesting. Can you let me know what the deal is with work visa for this?

You may have trouble finding expats with that type of experience who are planning on living here. I would guess it's a very small pool of people, hence the lack of replies.

Best of luck with the new venture - it sounds like a very exciting opportunity for the right person.

onmywaytoBA said:
Hi Miles,

Sounds interesting. Can you let me know what the deal is with work visa for this?

Hadn't really thought about the visa thing as I presumed long term employees would already have one. That being said, I don't see why we couldn't accomodate someone with the right qualities short term and then assist with the visa if it worked out?

citygirl said:
You may have trouble finding expats with that type of experience who are planning on living here. I would guess it's a very small pool of people, hence the lack of replies.

Best of luck with the new venture - it sounds like a very exciting opportunity for the right person.

Strange, I know a lot of expats here with this kind of experience...problem is they are all busy working. Quite frankly insurance isn't very complicated, its just a case of finding a risk mismatch, getting reinsurers to write an appropriate product and then getting out and selling it as quickly as possible before someone else catches on to the plan. Its always fairly easy to sell an identical product substantially cheaper, as long as you have a recognizeable global brand backing it.

I live in hope that there is still some sales or marketing genius out there.

Otherwise I will have to give up weekday polo and do it myself!!!

Back