Insurance when travelling back home?

soulskier

Registered
So the Mrs and I were talking about the big health care debate going on back in the empire at the moment and got to thinking.

We go home for a month each winter to ski. Given the health costs if one of us had an injury, is there a way to purchase insurance for the time in the US? I doubt our OSDE policy covers the States.

Anyone have feedback or thoughts on this?

You can buy an accident policy at the airport (EZE) near the duty free shop(s). It's the same travel insurance which is included in my Medicus plan.

soulskier said:
Given the health costs if one of us had an injury, is there a way to purchase insurance for the time in the US? I doubt our OSDE policy covers the States.

Anyone have feedback or thoughts on this?
Have you checked whether your credit card includes a travel insurance?

Mine has an unlimited 60 days world wide full coverage included.

OSDE has an extended plan that you can opt into while travelling. Don't know if it's cost effective though. Do you have a gold level credit card with Mastercard or American Express? There's usually some insurance cover through them. Otherwise you can find insurance policies online usually, but be aware that a lot don't cover skiing anyway since it's considered a "reckless activity" hahaha

Make sure to check what exactly is covered, in some (travel) insurances accidents from "risksports" are excluded. Mostly that means skiing as wel...

I've tried the OSDE travel insurance, as well as the policies they sell at the airport. I find both rather expensive, since they cover lost luggage (which is already covered by your credit card), trip cancellation, and a lot of other coverages that I find unnecessary.

After comparing several web-sales sites, I've been using http://www.squaremouth.com/travel-insurance/index.pl. If you enter a trip cost of $0.00, you'll get quotes for just emergency medical coverage, which is all I care about. Rates depend on destination, length of stay, and age, and you can elect various levels of emergency coverage and deductibles.

When I went up to the states last month for a couple weeks, I paid USD 110 for coverage of USD 60,000/occurrance with USD 100,000 for medical evacuation (back to Argentina), with a USD 50 deductible.

I basically look for enough coverage to take care of an emergency and enough med evac coverage to get me back here if anything really serious were to happen to me there.

Reactions: RWS
John.St said:
Have you checked whether your credit card includes a travel insurance?

Mine has an unlimited 60 days world wide full coverage included.

I have a bunch of credit cards, but, to my knowledge, none of them offer any substantial medical coverage in the US. Amex has a referral network of doctors and hospitals, but it doesn't cover their cost.

Which card are you using? Decent travel medical coverage would be a real benefit, worth an additional annual fee.

The travel insurance that is included with my AmEX and or Visa cards applies to lost luggage when I purchase an airline ticket with one of those cards and/or auto insurance coverage when renting a car. They do not, to my knowledge, include medical/hospital expense benefits except as provided by the car rental coverage in case of an auto accident.

Back