Internal Flights

Brady

Registered
I am an Argentine resident but my parents are not. They are coming to visit me but want to take a trip to Salta without me. Does anyone know if I buy their airline tickets to Salta as a resident, will they get through the airport fine. They will have to check a bag in also which complicates matters!!!! As they cant go straight to gate

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

I thought all resident fare subsidies had been rescinded.
Edited to add: I tried to do a dummy booking on LAN.com (Argentina page) and see that the subsidized flights are still available.

I would not recommend it. I thought about trying that a couple of times, but was advised not to by one my friends that work in Andes. Like everything here it's a bit of a hit an miss; it might work, but is it worth it if it doesn't?

P.S: Let me know if you want any recommendations on what to do/where to stay etc - I have been living in Salta for 5 years.

Was there a couple of weeks ago being a complete tourist. Enjoyed the views from the teleferico and also had a blast at a peña (and the cabrito was delicious).

The plaza is beautiful and it was fun just walking around.

Legally, only residents can fly at the reduced fares.

That said, people have reported in other threads here (tip: use the search box) successfully doing it by buying the ticket online, doing online checkin, taking only carry-on luggage, and NOT going near the checkin counter at the airport. As long as no airline employee checks their documents, they might get by with it. But if they check bags, as you say they need to do, it's highly unlikely.

If you are willing to take the risk, they could try and use resident tickets. However i know someone who did buy a ticket for his girlfriend who wasnt a resident, and she wasnt allowed on the plane, had to purchase another ticket at full price at airport which wasnt cheap, and then couldnt get a refund for the un-used resident ticket.

However i have also read on here about people being able to buy tickets and had no problems. Just be willing to fork out more money if they are stopped.

I myself have been able to buy resident tickets because i have a rentista visa, but have always had to go to the airlines office to pickup and pay for ticket as i dont have a DNI, and when i have flown they have checked, but i have always had checked bags..

I can confirm jimdepalermo's thought that it's possible to do if you follow all of the steps he outlined. I went to Salta about a month and a half ago, flying from AEP. I didn't check a bag and did online check-in.

I had no problems flying on the 'resident' fare in either direction and would certainly do it again, being careful to follow the same guidelines...

BTW, if anyone has been able to do it and also check a bag, that would be great information to know...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I flew LAN. I'm not sure if Aero-Cristina is more strict on checking, but since I refuse to fly them due to their complete incompetence, I'll never know personally...

Question about resident fares. I'm looking into booking a flight to Chile via LAN. When you go in through the Argentina page, the fares are lower than on the US page. But I've read all the terms and conditions I can find on the Argentina page, and nothing mentions any requirement that you're Argentine, have a DNI, etc.
1. Do the resident fares even apply when going to Chile?
2. If they do, is there anywhere where it is noted that you have to be a resident of Argentina to get the fare? How would I know whether I'm buying a resident fare or not?

sgarlow said:
Question about resident fares. I'm looking into booking a flight to Chile via LAN. When you go in through the Argentina page, the fares are lower than on the US page. But I've read all the terms and conditions I can find on the Argentina page, and nothing mentions any requirement that you're Argentine, have a DNI, etc.
1. Do the resident fares even apply when going to Chile?
2. If they do, is there anywhere where it is noted that you have to be a resident of Argentina to get the fare? How would I know whether I'm buying a resident fare or not?

resident fares apply for chile flights on lan as well

Back